1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Krzyzewski rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

5 titles now.

I have him ahead of Brady, but not Montana.

Thoughts?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Montana never lost a title game. :D

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is he elite, though?

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

He's just a game manager, benefits from the system.

6. RecoveringJournalist

I figure he's first or second.

I think five titles in this day and age is every bit as impressive as 10 titles back when competition wasn't quite what it is now, and when one and done wasn't an issue, but I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone who says Wooden is No. 1 and the race is for No. 2.

If that's the case, Coach K is No. 2.

7. RecoveringJournalist

He's the Joe Flacco of basketball coaches. Actually, with all of the sexual assaults at Duke, maybe he should be the Ben Roethlisberger of basketball coaches. :D

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, with the way college basketball is now, that 5 might as well be 20. No one's approaching that as the game is currently constituted.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, one and done does not make winning multiple titles easy. There will be the rare team like Florida that had four would-be first-round picks who came back to win a second title, but that isn't going to become the norm.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this, and IMO the strongest argument for Krzyzewski as the best coach is his work as head of the national team. He's coached pros to big wins, pickup teams of pros, really.
    As far as the competition being tougher these days, that's both right and wrong. Remember, when Wooden was at UCLA, only conference champions got into the tournament along with independents (remember those?, God I'm old). By that standard, Duke wouldn't even have been in the tourney this season.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A1? Above the fold?

JackReacher likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

In Durham, sure. Everywhere else? No.

Draft saved Draft deleted