1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Jon Stewart rank? (Or "RIP The Daily Show")

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, it's nonsense. People are cynical about politics because they ought to be, not because they watch a TV show that makes them laugh.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

A host can do as much or as little politics as they want. If it starts to annoy me, I'll stop watching. Letterman started to annoy me awhile back. So did Colbert.

I'm not saying they did anything wrong, but they would annoy me enough that I would choose not to watch.

I didn't really feel that way with Stewart.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not trying to bait people at all. As mentioned my only familiarity with Stewart was through You Tubes snippets of his political humor and his
    visits to the talk show circuit. I enjoyed him in those venues. Have always thought of him as very bright and very funny but I never
    thought of him as an "important social voice" mainly because of my lack of knowledge of his full body of work. Hence my question
    of comparison to Al Sharpton who also has a tv show as a forum and has been viewed in many circles as an important social voice. And
    yes some have compared him to MLK ( no me).

Perhaps he compares more to Dick Gregory - a comedian from another time that was an important social voice.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dick Gregory?

Boom_70 likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Could one of you who are arguing in favor of Stewart's "relevance" give me an idea of how his ratings compare to the network newscasts, or the cable talkers on FOX, like O'Reilly?

6. Boom_70

Hah - nice pull from way down town

7. Boom_70

"Relevance" is much different from "social voice"

In my limited knowledge of Stewart I would view him as very relevant but not sure if he is a "social voice".
    Does not seem like one and the same.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Similiarly, "Transformers 3" is the most culturally relevant movie of the last 10 years.

SnarkShark likes this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I love Stewart. I think he's brilliant.

Is anybody going to be talking about him 20 years from now? I doubt it, and I don't mean that as a knock. I love Kimmel, I think Fallon has done great things, but I think Letterman is the only guy now who will really have a lasting legacy.

10. Boom_70

More so than Sponge Bob? I mean Sb has a gay friend. That's pretty relevant.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

See, I disagree on this. I think Stewart will go down in history with the likes of Jonathan Swift, where he'll have a lasting legacy as a satirist.

12. Boom_70

For a short time Keith Olberman was considered an important social voice.
    Now he's not even relevant.

Draft saved Draft deleted