1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Jon Stewart rank? (Or "RIP The Daily Show")

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The straight, high hard one.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"But it's not a fucking game."

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's always been the loaded question. Stewart, without question, is a liberal, but anyone who watches it regularly would be quick to note that they hardly give the democrats a pass. As a socially-liberal republican, I rarely thought he went over the line. The turtle jokes about Mitch McConnell always killed me.

There were a few times when I found things hard to stomach. When he told John Kerry in 2004 how much he was hoping that he would win, it was a bit much for me. He said later, I think in the RS article that he regretted how he handled the Kerry interview. He always seemed way more in awe of Bill Clinton than he ever did with Obama. People have said he kissed Obama's ass and my take on that was that they all kiss his ass. Love or hate him, he's the president... Even hosts who are known to lean republican (Leno and Kimmel) treated Obama the same way Stewart did.

The O'Reilly interviews were by far my favorite. I don't know that I would say the two are clearly friends, but there was a respect there on both sides because they both knew the other could bring it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Uhhhh, yeah.

5. RecoveringJournalist

I sort of feel that unless they make a grand slam hire (I know Tina Fey has been mentioned, I'm not sure who else would qualify) they have to go with someone who has been a regular on the show before.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Oh, and I'm well aware that the chances that Fey takes that job are virtually zero.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you're under 40, he's 100 times more relevant than Sharpton.

Solidly left, but on occasion he goes after Democrats. Fox News is his favorite target, as it probably should be.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

DEFINITELY leans left. However, as others have pointed out, if a Democrat does 0r says something bad Jon's not afraid to address the subject.

Can't say as I'll miss Jon's version of the show since I disagree with it politically most of the time (and no, I don't watch Fox News or listen to Rush... lol) but won't deny Jon was good at what he did. Daily Show works well as an entertainment program, but when people "get their news" from a program like that it makes me cringe.

Wonder who replaces Jon? Like others have said, John Oliver would have been good, but HBO won't let him go now.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'd agree that he's left, but he's not knee-jerk left. While he definitely skewers Republican politicians and Fox News more than Democrats and MSNBC, he hasn't been afraid to blast at either side. If I recall correctly, he also didn't shy away from making fun of Anthony Weiner, even though they were personal friends.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

OK. But let's not pretend if there was an equally-idiotic story going on at MSNBC and Fox, he'd go after both the same.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Are people obligated to use the word "skewer" when discussing Stewart? Seems so.

Boom_70 likes this.
  12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

More relevant yes but the question at hand is who was more important social voice- Sharpton or Stewart? Many have said
    that Sharpton has become the MLK of our time. Hard for Stewart to compete with that moniker from social voice standpoint.

Draft saved Draft deleted