1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Where does it say I can't cheer at the press table?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Mar 17, 2010.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

No cheering in the press box or at press row. No exceptions.

99% of college and pro writers follow this rule, except of course Kentucky basketball writers.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I never cheer from the press box. My goal is to look and act professional.
    I covered the NCAA Tournament in Providence Saturday and when the McConnell kid from St. Mary's banked in the 3 pointer vs. Villanova, I didn't blink an eye, just wrote down some notes. I saw the highlight later, and the people to my right and left - for whatever reason, I was seated next to some St. Mary's ADs and other administrators - and they're going nuts, as in the bench right in front of me. I looked bored. Thought it was kind of funny to see all this excitement going on, and here's reporter boy, looking bored out of his skull.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

4. Greg Pickel

Greg Pickel Member

Being in the radio business, the answer is pretty much no. I'd say the radio guys have more freedom to, say, jump out of there seat on a game winning jumper then the newspaper guys, but it's unprofessional in my opinion to sit there and bitch and cheer at every call. At the highschool level, maybe, but then again if you're a radio guy for a high school team and taking every play to heart, maybe you have bigger problems to combat. At the college and pro level, the guys should be somewhat homers if they are on the pay-roll for and/or calling the game for a specific team on-air, but otherwise act professional off the air like the rest of the media.

5. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

When I was just starting out as a sports writer for my college paper there was a second school paper that was just getting off the ground (didn't last very long as I recall). I remember going to cover a basketball game, and being seated next to the guy from the rival paper. Also seated around us were the beat writers from the state's daily newspapers. This guy would go off on the refs if calls didn't go 'our team's' way and would cheer and clap loudly when the team did something good. After the game the SID brought out players for us to interview and the guy actually hugged one of them and said 'great win man, you guys were awesome tonight.' I was stunned as were the beat writers and the SID. Afterwards, some of the beat writers came up to me and expressed their disgust with the rival writer and had high praise for my professional conduct on press row. They even asked me to go out with them for dinner and beers after we filed our stories. For a guy just starting out and learning the business that was a big highlight for me.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

A few years back I covered a college FB game and was grabbing some food in the pressbox before heading down to the field for photos. There was an announcement that no cheering was allowed in the pressbox. I remember thinking, "Do they really have to remind reporters about that?" I've seen several instances since then showing that such reminders are indeed needed. Worst was covering a college game with a co-worker. Waiting for coaches and players afterwards along with other reporters, co-worker goes on and on about "We should have used this guy more" or "We really messed that call up." Constantly using "we." Just glad I wasn't next to him during the game, I think it would have driven me nuts.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Someone needs to explain to him that it's only "we" when the team wins. Losers are "they."

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The same goon that caused me to start this thread did it again. During pregame during the team's final game, he gave a standing ovation ... while wearing a t-shirt from the college.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

point him towards this thread

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

If King Creole has seen this guy do this twice already, I don't think pointing the offender in the direction of this thread will impress him if he sees it.

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The only really serious example of this I have ever had with firsthand was at an af2 game I was covering the visiting team's paper for a few years ago. The press box had two tiers. I sat on the top tier and the GM of the opposing team sat a few seats down from me. The home team beat writer sat just below me in the lower tier. The GM starts shouting at his players almost from the first snap. I tried to be tactful and remind him there was no cheering in the press box. He continued, however. Finally, halfway through the first quarter, when he would not shut up, the home team beat writer yelled at him that there was no cheering. The GM went and sat in the nearest stands behind me and continued cheering.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

With one exception, I simply can't imagine anything that would ever get me to clap, much less cheer, while covering an event. The exception was the first football game after 9/11. There was a moving tribute during the national anthem. Was feeling especially patriotic that day. Sue me.

Draft saved Draft deleted