1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Where does it say I can't cheer at the press table?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Mar 17, 2010.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I've seen some long-time small school SIDs take homerism to new levels and was actually okay with it because it was cheap entertainment.

Now, one time I covering an af2 game in Ft. Myers and the home team PR guy lost his temper and actually kicked a trash can because his team was losing. That was unprofessional in every shape in form.

So the follow-up question is how much professionalism is expected by the PR people?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lot, if you're a garbage can.

I don't mind a PR person cheering for his/her team, but I think stoicism works best.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What Ace said.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think you are correct. If you'll watch the press area at international soccer matches, especially at the World Cup, you'll see guys standing in their seats cheering.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'll admit to joining a standing ovation this year as well. A cheerleader at one of the schools we cover died in her sleep and the basketball team made a presentation to the girl's parents before a game. In that instance, I thought, the heck with being a reporter, this family has been through one of the worst hells I can imagine. How could I not applaud?

On the other extreme was about 10-11 years ago at an NFL game. Some reporter bought a buddy along (yes, it was pre-9/11) who was cheering along with every play by the home team. A couple of writers in the front row looked back and I nodded my head toward the miscreants. A play or so later, one of the reporters turned around - all 5-0 or so of her - and plainly said: "Hey, there's no cheering in the press box!"

The rest of the game was much quieter.

6. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

I'd probably do the same in that situation, HanSenSE. Can't imagine someone seeing you and thinking, 'Wait. Isn't he a reporter?'

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Even if I'm in the press box, I will applaud a nice rendition of the national anthem.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Especially if it's under 1:20... more than that and she could look like Rachel McAdams and sing like Norah Jones; she gets no props from me

9. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Couple of exceptions to the rule...

1) Earnhardt when he won the Daytona 500. Heck, everyone was borderline giddy afterwards.

2) Bobby Bowden's last presser after the Gator Bowl...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Early in my career I'm covering the tournament. I was about the ninth guy there from my paper, so I was a couple rows back and sitting next to a kid who was the editor of the school paper of one of the teams in the tournament.

I was only a year or so older that the kid, who seemed nice, was dressed professionally and seemed well-behaved.

After his team won on a buzzer beater, he started screaming, jumped over our table and the one in front of us and jumped on the dogpile of students and players in the middle of the floor.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I don't see how either of those are exceptions.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered the Pepsi 400 when Earnhardt Jr. won it and the media contingent there gave him a standing ovation when he walked in the press conference. Some of the big name legendary racing writers were participating as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted