1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Brady rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Feb 2, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

1. Doug Williams
    2. Mark Rypien
    3. Joe Theismann

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I checked on this thread and my suspicions were confirmed. If people on this board do not realize teams win games, not individual players, there is no hope. All the quarterbacks discussed here are all-time greats. Brady would be no less great today if Pete Carroll hadn't lost his mind at the goal line and run for the damn TD.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

These are the kind of hot takes I was expecting. Tell me more!

4. Mr. Sunshine

Do you think the Hall of Fame should stop honoring individual players and instead induct just teams?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, sure. But if David Tyree doesn't make a ridiculous catch that he drops 98 out of 100 times, then he wins his fourth Super Bowl then. Over the course of a career, I guess people just figure those things even out and the number - which, yes, there is still a little too much emphasis on - is grenerally representative of the quarterback's playoff prowess.

It's crazy. The Patriots almost lost their second Super Bowl because of a circus catch.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Third. That Manningham catch wasn't as highlight-reely, but it was every bit as difficult as Kearse's.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying that trying to evaluate great players by how their teams won or lost is a fool's exercise. You can make up a damn fine all-time team out of Hall of Famers whose teams never even reached an NFL championship game. Is Barry Sanders less of a running back because he never made a Super Bowl? This kind of talk is just an excuse for people to talk about quarterbacks, the one position everyone thinks they know how to evaluate.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Yes, things like the Super Bowl give people an excuse to talk about football. Fucking assholes.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You play football to try to get to, and win the Super Bowl. So of course people put stock in players that make it to a lot of them.

Obviously football is a team game. But would you agree that standout players can elevate a good team, just as a standout player is usually not enough to elevate a bad team? And then you get all the kinds of teams in between really good and really bad, and the effects an all-time QB might have on a team like that. You need to look at everything. It's legitimate to make subjective arguments about whether Brady was the difference that took some really good teams (like other really good teams in the league that fell short) and made them championship teams by what he added. It's legitimate to question whether the Dolphins were good enough many years to where Marino could / should have taken them to more Super Bowls if he was the kind of player that could elevate a team. Most people don't rely on just winning and losing to evaluate a QB. They understand context. They will ask themselves the subjective question of how much Tom Brady, in particular, had to do with making it t0 6 Super Bowls and then winning 4, for example.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Bradshaw is just so laughable

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ragu wants to know why Jack Morris isn't on the list.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He does have som brilliant hot takes

Draft saved Draft deleted