1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Brady rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Feb 2, 2015.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

FYI:

In Super Bowls:
    Montana-> 83-122 (68%), 1142 yards, 11 TD, 0 INT, 127.8 Rating, 4-0 Record
    Brady-> 164-247 (68%), 1605 yards, 13 TD, 4 INT, 95.3 Rating, 4-2 Record
    Bradshaw-> 49-84 (58%), 932 yards, 9 TD, 4 INT, 112.8 Rating, 4-0 Record

That's pretty insane. Hard to think anyone will ever touch Montana's line there. That's incredible.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

ESPN just tried to anoint Brady the best of all time. Hold er right there. Play in four Super Bowls, win four Super Bowls. I still think Joe Montana is the gold standard and Bradshaw's right there. Brady's damn good, don't get me wrong.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's easy to say Brady is the best of all-time, just like it would have been easy to say these Seahawks had the best defense of all-time if they won this game and just like it was easy to say the Ravens had the best defense of all-time a few years ago. That's just what people do. They want to say the current point of discussion is the best of all-time.
    Brady is very clearly No. 2. I haven't seen anyone argue this yet. I don't know if he could ever pass Montana. Not with the 4-2 record. Hell, not even if he somehow gets the Pats back here next year and they win it again (Which will be incredibly difficult.)
    Montana was simply too clutch in the biggest game of the year. 11 TDs and ZERO INTs? Seriously? That's ridiculous.
    I think this is more of a debate if Brady had already gotten or gets a fifth ring but, still, I think there's Montana and everyone else.
    Better question: Does this put Belichick as the No. 1 coach of all-time?

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If you mean the whole history of the NFL, Vince Lombardi is the No. 1 coach.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What Belichick does without Brady will be his barometer.

Gibbs might be the best coach with Landry right there. They did it with different groups and different QBs.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Recognizing there are other reasons to pick Montana (like the TD-INT ratio), I don't like giving him credit for 4-0 vs. 4-2 in Super Bowls for Brady. That's taking points away from Brady because Montana fell even shorter twice.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What about Manning, tho!

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Can't ignore Eli's two rings.

JackReacher likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or Eli's 2-0 record in Super Bowls played against Brady.

More commonly known as the "Michael Jordan never lost a championship" defense.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No basketball talk!

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What about Robert Horry?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Brace yourself for a scorching hot take:

Peyton Manning is still a better QB than Brady, in much the same way that Marino was a better QB than Montana. Championships are a huge part in determining their places on the all-time list, but not as interrelated with quarterbacking skill as some think.

Draft saved Draft deleted