1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Belichick rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I do not think Halas should be in the first group. He was coach of a great team, the Bears of the '40s, and his status as a pioneer qualifies him as a legend, but he was coach/owner, removing one acute pressure point for any coach. I think of him as I do Connie Mack. Mack is an integral part of the history of baseball. Is he the best manager of all time? No.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Post-merger is especially instructive here.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Post-merger candidates would be Noll, Shula (also pre-merger in his case), Walsh, Parcells, Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson and Belichick. Gibbs winning three Super Bowls with three different QBs, none a Hall of Famer or close to it, is a powerful argument on his behalf.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Gibbs won a strikeball game against a Dallas team full of regulars- that was a true coaching marvel

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with this. I know he's had Tom Brady the whole time, but considering how that teams gets raided almost every year by free agency, winning almost every year is amazing. They've also benefited from players giving them discounts because they want to play there, but that happens from time to time with the great teams.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Agreed.

I'd go Belichick, Lombardi, Walsh, Brown, Parcells as the first tier
    Second tier would be Shula, Landry, Noll, Gibbs and maybe Levy

I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still not seeing your reasoning for Landry. Noll has more championships and his team won both times they faced off in the Super Bowl. Noll and Landry both hit points where they stopped winning with their usual regularity. The only difference is Noll hung on longer because he had the Rooney family as owners and Landry had Jerry Jones.

That said, Paul Brown belongs on the first team ahead of both of them.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Paul Brown never won a Super Bowl, therefore he sucks... :D

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's a little before my time but no love for Madden? Growing up it seemed like he was the standard bearer and now he's almost never brought into the conversation. Anyone more familiar here that can make a case for or against his inclusion?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

John Madden coached 10 years, taking over a team that had gone to the Super Bowl the previous year. He won one Super Bowl.

Also it's generally accepted as fact that Al ran the defense.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Let's see 12 is twice as many as 6 and how many times did Reid lose a playoff game at home when his team was favored.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sid Gilman and Don Coryell probably had the biggest impact on NFL offenses from 1960-2000.

And winning titles makes you the greatest QB of all time, unless your name is Bart Starr, who quarterbacked more championship teams than just about anybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted