1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Belichick rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The first post said Brady as best ever...are we sure he's better than Montana?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Elliotte, the two best I ever saw were Unitas and Montana. Brady's very close to them in my memory bank, but not quite there.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Have always believed one of the most impressive things on his vita was winning a playoff game with the Browns.
    Eleven months before an announced move.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Nine times in 14 years he's had a team within a game of the Super Bowl.

Fourteen years in a row, he's had a team finish with -- or tied for -- the best record in the division. (edited because I mistakenly said best in the conference.)

Nobody has done that. Hard to imagine any future coach even getting 14 years to try to match that.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That isn't right. That isn't close to right.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Dang. I meant division. Fourteen years in the division. Wrong word, ltl, sorry.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK yeah that.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Not that it's Belichick's fault, but being in that horseshit division certainly doesn't hurt.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.
    The Bills and Dolphins have sucked shit for just about all of those 14 years and apart from the Jets being decent once every four or so years, the Pats haven't had ANY competition in that division this century.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It says a lot that the Jets have been their biggest competition. Other teams have benefited similarly from having horseshit divisions for a few years at a time, but it's not as extreme as the AFC East because the Dolphins and Bills have been so bad/mediocre for so long.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's happened before. Look at the AFC Central during all but two or three years of the Steelers dynasty.
    Part of being a powerhouse is beating the crap out of those teams and putting them in the loss column.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Are Belichick's 12 AFC East titles more impressive than Andy Reid's six NFC East titles?

Not trying to equate the two coaches, but there are way better metrics to use for the Belichick-GOAT argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted