1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not often, Jones, but yeah, I agree. I'd love to have one summer, one wallet full of money and zero responsibilities.
    I'd own the fucking world.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Micronesia
    Definitely, hit Palau. That's the top destination there, but you can also hit Pohnpei while you're there. And you can spend some time on Guam, because you'll probably fly into there.
    You can add islands depending on how you want to spend the money. That's a great trip.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Luggy, you're my Interweb girlfriend. And while I appreciate your intense wanderlust spirit -- and you're talking some serious wandering -- and while I'll be happy to join you in Oman as soon as we can figure out how to ditch our respective mates, I have to disagree with you here.

Those trips would blow CR's budget and really, they'd be pretty quick. I've been to Tasmania. You can't spend more than a week there without going crazy, which is why, it so happens, Tasmanians are fucking crazy.

But Europe can be months. And yes, it's a cliche, but so is having sex on your honeymoon and diving the Great Barrier Reef, but you do those things, because they are spectacular. Like Moddy says, CR has a chance to own the world. He should do that now. The places you're talking about, he can get to later, when his kids are grown up, and when he has money and time and outlook and patience. Right now, he needs Europe.

And yes, head is different in Amsterdam and Albuquerque. I think it might be the change of altitude.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

And the potency.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I guess I've just never had that international wanderlust. Most of it likely has to do with these things: Fear of flying, REALLY BIG fear of flying over water, picky palate, enjoying feeling comfortable.

I don't like going out of my comfort zone. At all. And when I do, I don't feel the sense of relief you guys all do.

So I'd vote for getting a nice place in the outer banks and just kicking back. Save the rest of the money for hookers.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And beer, IJAG. Don't forget the beer.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

GBNF, good work but I have to disagree wholeheartedly on Venice. It might also be when you go. I went in March and it was one of my favorite stops in Europe because of how incredibly unique it is. There's not many other places in the world you can see people pulling up and docking their boats at food markets to get groceries.

Also, have to disagree with not going to the Louvre. Even if you only go to the outside of it because it's amazing that that building houses a museum. But once there you have to go inside the museum and see the history of the world for yourself, I was enthralled. I agree on the Eiffel Tower, the best view in Paris is from the top of the Cathedral of Notre Dame.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmmmmm beer.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I had the $10K, I'd visit Ireland (the ancestral homeland), Italy/Sicily and finish up by seeing Canada by train.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

From Minneapolis, head north to Canada.

Turn left. Work your way across the prairie, the Rockies, hit Vancouver, then get to Alaska (prettiest place I'll see in my lifetime).

Jump on a plane and get to Australia.

If I never get back, I don't care.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Chris, not only are the mates a serious obstacle getting in the way of our Oman getaway, but so are the tots. ;D

I'd love to hear why the Tasmanians are crazy.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm telling you, if you like exotic locales, diving, ocean kayaking, spearfishing, etc., go to Palau.
    It is fantastic. You take a kayak tour among the rock island, climb up to the salt-water lakes to swim wi9th the pelagic jellyfish, look for salt-water crocodiles and dugong (we looked but never found any). It's fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted