1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Mar 25, 2008.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I really like some of these suggestions, especially Europe.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you're serious, CR ... :

1) Seattle. No, I've never been there. But some crazy people are scheduled to be there in June. They're pretty cool. :)
    2) Alaska. Get there while the winter ain't.
    3) All over Canada. I've really liked the parts of Ontario I've seen in the couple of times traveled there. I imagine other parts of it are well worth it.

My top choices that would require flights are Great Britain and Japan. But the flights alone would cut deep into your budget and probably not leave you enough.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Montreal, London, Moscow, Tokyo.

Avoiding planes like the plague. By boat or train the whole time. If I don't keep in touch with at least three people I meet on the trips, I'll be disappointed.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would go to the Hotel Chevalier, order room service and wait, weeks if need be, for Natalie Portman to show up. But that's just me.

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I already have Seattle paid for, fortunately. I'm going to Japan with my family in July, so that won't have to come out of this travel money, either.

Initially, I was thinking I'd just spend a month in Europe... get a rail pass and go to as many countries as I could on the cheap, focusing a large part of the trip on Spain.

London, Paris and Beijing are all sounding pretty sweet, too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I'll have the song from that scene stuck in my head all night.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has spent a lot of time in Europe. He said money goes further in Eastern Europe, which is why rather than taking the train back to Paris for another two or three days before flying back, he stayed in Prague because he was short on money and knew the money wouldn't suddenly vanish.

If I were to pick three places, I would want them all fairly close to each other -- no going from Alaska to Europe to Quebec. I would probably go around Europe, with a heavy emphasis on Italy, France and Ireland in that order, taking in whatever other countries I could going from one to the next.

8. BTW, how exactly does someone get $10,000 handed to them?

I would like to get in line.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What's the age of consent in Japan? In Europe?

Would be wise to research these things, California Jayhawks fan.

10. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Paris. Then Monte Carlo (and Nice next door).

Then I'd end it in Innsbruck, a really cool Austrian city.

If the fourth city comes into play, I'd fly back to New York and spend every last cent doing New York.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

C_R, pm me as I spent a semester in London last year. You could see a ton of places in Europe for a lot less than that.

I went to Dublin, Paris, French Riviera, Prague, Krakow, Seville, Venice, Rome and Athens during my time there so I could give you some suggestions on how to do it on the cheap.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I buy the cheapest ticket to the Cayman Islands and put the remainder in a tax-free offshore account!

Draft saved Draft deleted