1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you find cheap airfare?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Apr 28, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm trying to fleece the airlines for once, instead of the other way 'round.

I know about all the major travel sites... priceline, orbitz, expedia, etc. Just wondering if there's any unknown goldmines out there that could help us little people fight back.

If not, my next step will be to locate and kidnap William Shatner.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

www.kayak.com

3. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

American Airlines updates their systems between midnight and 3 a.m. It's proven you can get discount fares during that period.

Also, if there's a flight you like best, booking with the airline is generally best. Especially if you need to book a hotel room as well. Most of their vacation companies will essentially throw the room in for free if you're a FF. Especially American.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Southwest has been having some good deals on their web site lately. Lots of sub-$100 fares (one-way). One offer was a one-day only deal, but it was a cross-country flight to San Francisco for two people, only $430 round trip.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://us.lastminute.com/index.html

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

www.airfarewatchdog.com is a big help.

FYI: Kayak.com, I've found, is (somewhat regularly) being beaten by the airlines' own Web sites these days. Used to be the best site out there, but I'm finding better deals on Southwest.com and Airtran.com. Airlines are getting desperate, and they're lowering their prices like crazy. Doesn't always show up on the big travel sites, though.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://farecast.live.com/

I've saved significant money using this site.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

kayak, lastminutetravel, farecast, travelocity, priceline

They're all generally going to be in the same ballpark. Be aware that some sites throw up their price and do NOT include taxes and fees; others do, so be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We've got some great hotel/car rental deals--and I mean great--through Hotwire but we've never tried air fare.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Hey! Keep your mitts off the Shat-man!

11. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

You might expand on what Waldorf said and try the airlines sites directly. I have been looking for a good deal to Copenhagen, Denmark and have tried almost every discount site around in the last three weeks. About a week ago I talked to a friend who frequents Europe about twice a year and he said to try United Airline's website because that's the carrier he uses and he always gets the best prices from them. I gave it a try and it was a bit cheaper than the best deal I had found. So, just for grins, I tried several other carriers and found a round-trip for $528 on Air Canada. That beat everyone else by over $300. It involves an hour and a half layover in Toronto then direct to Copenhagen, but big deal. I can sit anywhere for $200 per hour.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Every time you search, clear your cookies first. I know that if Orbitz recognizes you've searched those flights before, they give you higher prices the next time.

Draft saved Draft deleted