1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you download your music from?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I use torrents on occasion, but I'm now going back to buying CDs (gasp) for the sound quality.

As long as you're not listening to Winger or something, good set of headphones/earbuds and some lossless rips is music bliss.

2. sostartled

sostartled Member

There are programs that convert youtube videos to mp3s. That's how I do it.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Torrents are wrought with problems. Especially the public trackers (pirate bay and such). Don't risk it.

Most file swapping is now done through rapidshare, megaupload and stuff like that. Way easier. Way less risky. There are tons of forums, blogs and other web sites which store links to stuff you might want to look into.

4. Soulseek is a good program for downloading music, and I use Demonoid for my torrent needs.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So if I buy a CD at Best Buy and burn you a copy, you're "stealing it" from Best Buy?

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Technically, you're stealing.
    From Best Buy - no.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Can I borrow that book when you're finished with it?"

"Can I borrow your lawn mower?"

I guess we've been ripping off bookstores and hardware stores since I was a kid, too.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

No, shit music killed the music industry.

That and the unwillingness (until it was too late) of record companies to allow consumers to have access to the music we wanted when we wanted it, ie. by not releasing/promoting singles, etc.

As schiezainc says, why should we pay in the neighbourhood of $20 for an album when we only want one song from it? That's the attitude that got me into downloading about 10 years ago. I see no reason to change now.

9. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Rhapsody + Download helper plug in for Firefox.
    Rhapsody gives you I think 25 free plays a month. However, lets say you dont play more than 10 seconds or so, it doesnt count as a play, yet the plug in finds the file for you.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That's copyright infringement. Is that the same thing as stealing?

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

No, because you're not illegally reproducing them.
    If you went to a library, borrowed a book, took it to work and photocopied every page, you'd be stealing as well. Same thing if your friend borrowed the book from you and made a copy of it.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I get my music the old-fashioned way... having to listen to it blasting from these damn kids' headphones!
    Who needs to download anything when you have car radio? AM AND FM!

Draft saved Draft deleted