1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you download your music from?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I know this could be a topic that gets me yelled at but hear me out. I want to download the Season 4 theme song of The Wire ("Way down in the hole" by Domaje) and it's only available on iTunes as an album only purchase, which means I'd have to spend $17 for one track and, well, I refuse to do that shit, especially for a song that's all of 1:45.

So, now that Limewire is gone, where do you download your music from? I tried Frostwire but all I'm getting is junk. I'd gladly pay the 99 cents for it but that's apparently not an option so, internet community, what do you recommend I do?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The Limewire thing, coming as it did before Christmas, convinced me to finally stop downloading for free and start paying again (through iTunes).

I asked for iTunes gift certificates for Christmas and got $150 worth. I've still got $100 of it.

I don't think I'll go back to downloading off free services again.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

When LimeWire went south, I found out about FrostWire and downloaded a song from there. But then my computer got a virus and the PC gurus suspected FrostWire.

Of course, my security had expired a few weeks beforehand, so if you've got McAtee or some other type of secutiry, you're probably going to be OK, but buyer beware.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Mostly I got mine from Amazon. Not having an iPod, it didn't matter. But I don't really download music any more. Haven't in at least a year. I just listen on grooveshark. With 2,000 songs on my mp3 player, if I'm away from my laptop I can find something I want to listen to.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

You can buy the song on Amazon.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wife loves utorrent.

I think she even downloaded about $600 worth of Rosetta Stone courses for me from there.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else see the irony in journalists looking for a way to steal music?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

See nothing ironic.

Maybe I see something somewhat hypocritical.

But not really.

We wish people had to pay for our stuff (and were all willing to pay).

Musicians wish people had to pay for their stuff (and were all willing to pay).

Each has come to the realization (or should have by now) that these wishes will not come true.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

CDs.

Downloading is stealing, no different to me than walking into Best Buy and stuffing your trench coat with box sets. It has killed the music industry.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Amazon.com. It's occasionally cheaper, and it comes without rights protection, which is not really an issue anymore but pissed me off to no end three years ago when I had tons of albums downloaded on iTunes that I couldn't do anything else with.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

iTunes as the music isn't DRMd anymore.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Agree. That's part of why I don't steal, along with the fact that stealing anything is, you know, wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted