1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do the Yankees this decade rank on a list of all-time busts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

People sure have a funny way of showing respect towards Brady. Cheering in bars? Class acts. Who gives a fuck what those hacks think anyway. If those fools want to think the Patriots orginization are cheaters, even after respected football minds like Jimmie Johsnon and Bill Parcells have said otherwise, they can go right ahead.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'd put my money on the Angels. But if the Sox lose, I won't be too let down as a fan, because they've been through so much shit this season and won it last season.

3. yankees will be fine.

coming off the books this year:
    -- mussina (i really think he emptied the tank this year)
    -- pettitte
    -- giambi ($17 mil)
    -- pudge
    -- abreu

all decent-sized deals. of course, the rotation will blow that much more if they bring back neither mussina or pettitte, but bringing back one of them would be reasonable.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But because they would have failed to win the World Series, at least according to the premise of this thread, the Red Sox would be a bust this season. Just like the Yankees, who have also been through so much stuff this season.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Yankees haven't won one in eight postseasons, since they disbanded the '01 squad and started spending insane amounts of cash.

You can't win a World Series every year, but the Yankees should have had a ring or two. Many of those years they've had the most money by tens of millions and had the most talent as well. That's the premise of this thread.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Red Sox almost always have the second- or third-highest payroll in the game. No reason for them to lose with the $200 million Yankees and $137 million Tigers not in the playoffs, right?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you win one title every ten years in any sport, you are a great franchise.

Honestly, you really cannot relate to true Boston fans because you expect to win.

My, have things changed.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wait, so you are supposed to win a World Series every eight years?

Man, the Red Sox were real failures for most of the 20th century. And don't get me started on the Cubs or the host of teams who have never won a World Series.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, the Red Sox don't have to win it all this year to justify the Ramirez deal. He was going to be gone after this season no matter what. When you look at the impact past this season, they will have Bay will be back in left field next season. He is a hell of a lot more valuable than Moss and Hansen. Moss is a nice player who might develop into a regular, but he was no more than a fourth or fifth outfielder in Boston. And Hansen sucks. I don't care what people thought he would be. I'm talking about what he is, which isn't much.

I really hate the "drained after the ALCS" excuse. Handling the day-to-day grind is part of the game.

Suddenly, I'm finding this thread very entertaining.

10. oop, if they lose in the alcs in four games because their offense is dung, damn right that trade bites 'em in the ass. while i love bay as a player, and did before he even came to boston, losing 15 homers and 30 rbi isn't an easy pill to swallow.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Pavano.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My point is the evaluation of that trade does not end with just this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted