1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do the Yankees this decade rank on a list of all-time busts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Sep 23, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I cannot find a pic of the 1949 team.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. 93Devil

The bar I was in cheered, and it's in Virginia. In fact, they cheered every replay.

The Patriots are as popular away from New England as W. Bush is away from Texas.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

No.

The Red Sox made it back to the postseason despite trading away their best hitter at midseason; missing last season's World Series MVP as well as David Ortiz, Julio Lugo, and JD Drew for considerable time; and missing one of their better starting pitchers for the entire season.

And the Sox beat the Angels in the ALDS the last two times they won the World Series. Just sayin'.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

And...?

I don't care about bars of classless fans, cheering a good man for getting his knee fucked up.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I was -2 in '86.

Can't say I felt the pain. Should have posted Aaron Boone.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Doesn't matter.

If they don't win the World Series they are a bust.

That is the entire premise of this thread.

7. 93Devil

And....?

You do realize that Boston has now become New York. You are no longer the lovable losers.

Honestly, the Red Sox are a likable team. The people that cheer for them seem to a little more unlikable.

The Patriots are looked upon as cheaters. People seem to respect Brady, but they do not respect the organization.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They've won two of the last four Series.

And, despite the recent success, they're still the freakin' Red Sox.

The New York Yankees, the most successful franchise in North American sports history, have gone eight years without a title. With that staggering payroll, roster of All-Star talent, and historically demanding ownership.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Let's revisit that statement in a couple weeks.

10. angola is right. the premise is that the sox are fail if they don't win it all. given the high-stakes gamble they made in trading ramirez and two good young players, they better hope it turns out to be '04 again.

anyway, back to the thread's thrust: i wouldn't consider the yankees a "bust" this season or any other season, except maybe 2004, and that was a ridiculous choke job (this comes from a sox fan). 2001 was a unique circumstance...2002, they got beat by the champs...2003, they were drained after the alcs...the last three years, they've been an aging team, simply sticking bubble gum all over to plug holes.

personally, i'm surprised they even made the playoffs last year. i expected this eventually. i didn't expect it to happen as the result of tampa freaking bay winning the division, but it is what it is. i think they needed a season such as this to ratchet down some unreasonable fan expectations.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Doesn't matter.

Don't win the title, especially with the second highest payroll, a demanding ownership and a crazed fanbase, and you are a bust.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'd agree with that, plus, it will make it easier to cut ties with some of the aging veterans since they can be blamed for not going to the postseason.

Draft saved Draft deleted