1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Do I Get My Reputation Back?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hasn't Obama already brought McCrystal back into the fold?

Obama had to remove him at the time. To not do so would have made him look weak. McCrystal's staff was disparaging the Commander in Chief, without hesitation, in front of a reporter. That can't go on.

At the same time, Obama doesn't/didn't want to alienate the military or their supporters at home. So he allows McCrystal to leave with dignity and has already brought him back onto the team.

And, it was a master stroke to appoint Petraeus to replace him.

Formerly a boogey man of the left, Petraeus is now Obama's man on the ground:

[​IMG]

Every Democrat President has to be worried about being labeled as soft on defense. With his criticism of military action as a Senator and candidate, his pledges to reduce troop levels, and his calls for cuts in defense spending, Obama has to be especially cautious.

The last thing he needs is a General or two "going rogue" and criticizing his leadership. It hurt Bush when it happened to him and the right wing media would go crazy with a former General criticizing Obama.

He's been very smart/strategic to keep these guys on his team.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Obama/Gates really had no other plays. There were no other generals that they could have appointed who would go in there and have full knowledge of the situation on the ground and the strategy being implemented.

Note that Petraeus, who was McChrystal's boss, took a demotion from CentCom commander to take the gig.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Which is exactly the reason he was the right man for the job. That "Betrayus" ad still pisses me off. Never an apology, either.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, please. Sticks and stones. False indignance is as unbecoming on you as it is every time the Alaskan ice queen goes into a false huff about something.

I do note, however, that the world awaits your apology for stating with great authority that no one from Occidental, Columbia University, or Harvard Law School has been quoted about Obama.

5. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I'm a Democrat. Can I say that ad sucked? Because it did.

MoveOn.org isn't the Democratic Party, however. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. And the "Betray Us" ad was bullshit.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

As counterpoints go, this is fairly weak, since the story skirts right up to contradicting itself. The headline and lede say "no WMB found". But then there's this:

To me that reads like they found more than nothing.

Sure, it would've made much more sense for us to keep troops in Afghanistan and finish the job there in 1993 and 1994, but I'm still not buying this continued assertion that there were no WMDs in Iraq. Small quantities, yes, but they're designed to cause mass destruction so large quanties are not needed.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You have a very creative way of putting words into my mouth. Meanwhile, your "defend the lefties at all costs" attitude is showing and, let me add, is also quite unbecoming. If you are going to quote someone, be accurate. Stalker.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does anybody else get the feeling that printdust is gathering ammo and explosive materials?

9. Dick Whitman

There is quite a bit we still do not know about him personally. His entire college career is a mystery. It is hard to believe no one has come out that remembered him at Harvard. I would like to see what kinds of grades he received as well as get a look at some of his papers...the topics and his views on things. We know nothing about his educational career.

As to your characterization, the idea that I "defend the lefties at all costs" would be laughable to many of the "lefties" on this board and elsewhere who hate the very air I breathe.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

He's not putting words in your mouth. You talked about how no one from school had been quoted about him. Then, when Dick presented many many quotes to the contrary, you said nothing and didn't admit that you were wrong.

11. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

No one hates you, Dick. Maybe it's easier for you to think people do. But no one does.

12. Dick Whitman

I think Zeke probably does. In an Internet way. We'd probably hit it off in real life.

Point stands that I was once tagged as the board "concern troll," and so the characterization as someone who "defends the lefties at all costs" is pretty inaccurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.