1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you run Kalas/Fidrych obits?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HorseWhipped, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They didn't trump any of the local and regional stories on our cover. Page 2 for both.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I doubt many places had either out front.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you had a slow news day, Kalas was worthy of the front with a reference to Fidrych and perhaps a story inside.
    Of course in Philly, it was the story about Kalas and Detroit and Massachusetts, the Bird.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If either had died Sunday, he'd have a puncher's chance of making the front. Other than the Masters, local MLB and NBA, it was goddamn slow.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Papers in Hartford, Chicago, Allentown, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale each had different ideas for how they wanted to play the stories (as they should).

But because the shared baseball page from Chicago had an 8-inch Fidrych blurb on it, that's how everyone was forced to play it.

Fuck you very much, Sam Zell.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Most days both would have been inside, but it wasn't a big sports day here. No local sports and a choice between the five mediocre to bad Texas pro teams playing today, so Kalas went out front with a refer to the Bird in side.
    Kalas is a name most people outside Philly won't recognize by name but when they read the story and realize he did NFL Films...and the Soup commercials, they know the voice.
    That's going to have larger appeal than a very unique pitcher that had a good rookie season and nothing else.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We put a short obit on "The Bird" in our rail, where we run other briefs (both local and wire).

Because most local events, including our Class A Midwest League team's home opener, were rained out, we had Lilly's near no-hitter on the front, and flagged to a longer piece on Kalas which ran on our baseball page.

Overall, a sad day for baseball, even for those of us who aren't from Philly or Detroit.

As a fellow University of Iowa graduate, I say Rest in Peace, Harry.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Lilly's near no-hitter?" You mean six inning plus and he didn't even finish the game? That's a near no-hitter?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is if you're Lilly's mother.

10. jps

jps Active Member

nearer than I've ever been, but, yeah ... through seven and change I think might be the 'near' cutoff.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Has to be a no-hitter to make the cover unless you're at least peripherally in the market of the team. And sometimes, no-hitters don't even make our cover.

12. jps

jps Active Member

can also go, sp, if pitcher is a hometown boy for small- to mid-sized shops.

Draft saved Draft deleted