1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you learn HOW to write?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oldschoolguy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Oldschoolguy

Oldschoolguy New Member

Can J School teach you HOW to write?

I'm in print sales now, but I spent 12 years as a magazine editor and publisher, and I've sold a book to a publisher on my own, as well. I learned to write mostly by being (brutally) edited. I can't imagine learning the craft of writing in J School or in any classroom. In fact, when I think about the writing instruction I got in high school and college, it was mostly stuff I had to forget, before I could really write for publication.

I'm sure this is an incredibly rudimentary question for a lot of you. But I'm curious -- Where did you really learn how to write?

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Preschool or in my house as a toddler. Can't really remember. I taught myself how to read at 3-years-old by reading the newspaper.

3. No.

You learn by doing. I'm still learning.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Correct, and correct.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For me, it was a family full of school teachers who provided a nurturing environment. And opiates.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Scout, is that you?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My dad taught me. He used a magnetic board with those big letters and assigned each one to a cleaning product. It was cool.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Second grade. /bobbyknight

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Michelle Tanner? I always had my suspicions. Now they're confirmed.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I was waiting for that. Nice work, FDP.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't remember. I remember that my parents took turns reading to me when I was a baby.

I guess I just took to writing at a very early age.

In terms of writing, I learned more by being brutally edited. I had laid back teachers who let shit slide in math and science classes, but in English classes, I always seemed to draw the high-strung types who would make me rewrite B-minus papers because they somehow knew I was better than what they read.

When I was at my community college rag, the advisor was definitely a Type A screamer. She kept on me until I got better and she kept pushing me to get better until I snapped. I don't miss the screaming, but I miss the interest she took in seeing me become a better journalist and a better person.

I still have yet to find someone who mentored me quite as well, even all these years later.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If anyone was going to catch that one, I knew it'd be you, Spup. Well done. Now go tell Doc to quit hanging his head in shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted