1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you intern?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I participated in the Living, Learning and Earning experience of the Walt Disney World College Program at the Walt Disney World Resort. I played the role of a Merchantainer in Frontierland, in the Magic Kingdom Park.

(Yes, that's actually how they tell you to identify the "internship" - glorified indentured servitude, but fun as hell - on your resume)

2. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

Summer = baseball for me: Cape Cod Times, then MLB.com covering the Rangers.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That does sound like fun, and something that is legitimately an internship. I'd have loved to have had something like that, just for what sounds like would be the sheer uniqueness of it.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

The Palm Beach Post. Was a great summer learning from some really talented editors.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Seattle Times news desk one summer, Colorado Springs Gazette-Telegraph news and features desks the next summer until they hired me to work the sports desk.

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

I interned at a radio station, writing the morning sports for the DJ to read. On the first day, my boss shows me how to write the sports report. Here's the AP wire for national stories -- rip and read. And here's the morning paper for local stories -- just rewrite.

I'm in print now, and what good preparation that was in understanding how my work would be used :)

7. Didn't intern, but I was a stringer for the paper in my college town and went to work for them after graduation. Better paid than an internship, and I could finish my degree at the same time.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is is still called the Gazette-Telegraph?

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Moscow-Pullman Daily News.
    Looking back, I wish I had done more internships while in school. Then again, by not interning until the summer before I graduated, I have the pleasure of working two summers at Burger King. :-[

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I am supremely envious of you. Very nice.

I still have a few copies of Spy -- from the funny years -- stowed away in my filing cabinet and I flip through them from time to time. What a great magazine ... and what a legacy it left on the magazine world in the years since.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Never interned, never did any stringing. I have no idea how I ever got a job.

12. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

Interned at a defunct wire service, started a few weeks before graduating college.

Draft saved Draft deleted