1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you get this number?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, May 27, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably not that way anymore but not that long ago a surprising number of numbers were listed.

A while back, I'm in need of a fairly prominent golfer from our area. I know a guy who is one of his boys so I set out to find this guy. Impossible. He's unlisted. No one knows his number.
    Just for yuks, I check the book (should always be done first, folks). There's the golfer.

2. blueview

blueview Member

Standard response: "I can't tell you that, or we'd both lose our jobs."

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Most land-line numbers are still listed, whitepages.com is super handy for that
    Depending on what they do, you can use the directory in pr newswire to get cell numbers, e-mails and land-lines. If you know where they went to school, you can search alumni directories and get numbers that way as well.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Reporter: Hello, is this Reggie? This is (beat reporter) from the (daily coverage) newspaper.
    Pro athlete: Why are you calling me at home?
    R: Because you're on strike and therefore I can't talk to you at the ballpark.
    PA: My home is my castle, you shouldn't bother me at my castle.
    R: I wouldn't normally dream of calling you at home, but since you're not going to be at the ballpark, I had no choice.
    PA: How did you get my number?
    R: You gave it to me last week.
    PA: Oh, that's right. What do you need?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

old standard response: barry bonds.
    new standard response: mike vick.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

From a long, long time ago, the NFL strike of 1987. One player rep gave me his number. I called. Wife answered. "Where did you get this number?"
    "Uh, from your husband. Is he there."
    "He did?" Sound of phone slamming.
    Player Rep X did not speak to me in person or telephone during remainder of strike. No surprise the union lost.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've had that happen before... I would love to be in the room when their lightbulb goes on...

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

When I have been asked that, I say that I can't disclose my source (even if I have used a directory or gone on the net).

But seriously, people should not be shocked with how we were able to track them down that with all the ways we can find information and the fact that we are journalists, and take "investigative" measures to find information.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

I need to clarify a little. I don't say that if I got it from another reporter. But if I got it from a relative or friend I let them know that up front. It's never been a problem.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No way. Just no way. I could see saying "I got your number from another reporter" if that were true. But if somebody else gave me the phone number, I'm going to save them some problems of the "I can't believe you gave my number to a fucking reporter!" nature by not saying where I got the number. It's none of their business anyway.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Really or is that supposed to be in sarcasm font?
    If you're being serious, that's a little over the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted