1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you get in? Where were you rejected?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got into: Missouri, Northwestern, Cornell, Penn, Colorado, UCSB, UCSD, Oregon and Washington

I got rejected by Harvard and UCLA.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I got accepted everywhere I applied except for UC Berkeley. It wasn't my first choice anyway, but it still bugs me.

PCLoadLetter, I wonder if we applied the same year? If so, you suck.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've thought about it, and I probably wouldn't. Weighing in the factors, I have a feeling that I would have been a socially-awkward college student at any school I went to.

And if I hadn't gone to my school, I probably never would have met my future wife.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Spent my first two years at a community college. After I finished I got into: Washington, Western Washington, Eastern Washington, Central Washington, Washington State and Seattle University. Spent a year at UW and hated it so I wound up transferring.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, to clarify, I was accepted and redirected.

I applied in '85. Don't know how they do it now, but back then all UC schools had the same entrance standards. Unless you had a 4.0, were class president, and/or had some other really appealing quality, Berkeley and UCLA would redirect you to another campus for your first two years, and you would move to the campus you wanted your junior year.

Up until my high school class you applied to one school, and got to choose where you were redirected. That changed my year... but my high school advisor didn't tell anybody this. I fully expected to get redirected and then go to Santa Barbara. Instead, I was redirected to Santa Cruz. Lovely setting... but the school is like a fucking commune.

That's how I ended up at Oregon.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

To address the looking back question, had I known I was going to get dismissed from the paper I worked at, I would have never left UW after they told me I couldn't get into the J-School. I would have switched my major to English and pursued the teaching career I am currently working on.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Accepted: St. Bonaventure, Penn State, Pitt, Thiel, W&J and Xavier.
    Rejected: None.

Coming from a catholic high school, I liked the small school atmosphere. I did pretty well on the SATs (never took the ACTs) and had pretty good grades in high school. W&J gave me enough money in scholarships where it ended up being about the same as the state schools, plus they wanted me to play baseball.

I lasted a month on the baseball team (despised getting up at 5:30 A.M. in September for D-III baseball practice), but made a ton of friends and joined a fraternity. Had some of the greatest times of my life there and wouldn't change anything.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My high school only allowed six applications per student. I used five, got in everywhere: University of Pennsylvania, Emory, Tufts, Brandeis, and what was then known as SUNY Binghamton and Albany.

I interviewed at Carnegie Mellon, but decided I just wasn't that nerdy. ::) However, I did steal their scientific writing curriculum and was planning to follow it at my chosen school... until an advisor said it'd likely take five years to graduate. Uh, no? Instead, I majored in psychology, spent 3 1/2 years on the school paper, and wound up deferring acceptance to social work school to see how "the sports thing" turned out.

I sometimes wonder how my life would be different if I'd gone into social work. The hours might be a little better, but I have my doubts about the salaries -- and as much as I still want to save the world, I don't know if I could've handled it.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My wife

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Oh, wait. This is about college ....

I was accepted at every school I applied to, rejected by none.
    I never considered applying to a private school. Not a single one.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Accepted: Mizzou, University of Illinois, Miami (Fla.)
    Rejected: none

I don't really have any regrets. Mizzou was great.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Where did you end up going?

Draft saved Draft deleted