1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you get in? Where were you rejected?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I forgot about Fairfield. I got in there too.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Accepted by: TCU, Texas, Michigan and Hawaii

Those were the only ones I applied too. Just applied to Hawaii, because I was a stupid high school student and thought it was funny. Plus, they came to our schools "College Day."

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Accepted: UVA, Wake, GWU and Dartmouth
    Rejected: University of Maryland - got that letter first, and it was my backup school. Figured I had really effed up at that point.

Don't love the choice I made, but I have no debt, so I'm never going to complain.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Accepted: Cornell and Hofstra
    Rejections: none

I was clueless at that age. I had a few local D-III colleges that thought I might be able to play basketball for them, but I wasn't interested and didn't apply. Cornell was the only place I wanted to go, because I had an older sister who went there and I fell for the school visiting her. My admission wasn't a lock--good SAT scores but I was a goofball in high school. I got decent grades without the effort I should have put in, but I was an underachiever and I have a feeling my application painted a picture of a guy who wasn't driven enough and didn't try -- which was me in reality.

Luckily I was accepted, because I left myself no options except Hofstra. It was a last minute application my mom BEGGED me to fill out because the school was near where I grew up and she was sure I was not going to get in to the one school I wanted. I did a really sloppy job of filling out the second application. I didn't realize they had some scholarship program for local kids with good SATs/grades. They wrote back with a full-ride offer, but I chose Cornell instead. It turned out to be the perfect place for me and has made a huge difference in my life.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I went to college basically as a last resort when I was 27 and had been out of work for a year. I was an awful high school student (could have been so much better if I'd actually given a shit) and figured the local community college was the only shot I had since I didn't expect to still be there after Christmas of my first year.

Don't regret it at all, going at that age was the toughest thing I have ever done but it forced me to focus and be the student all my high school teachers knew I could be.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To answer Zeke's question, I do think I made the right choice. I have some regrets about choices I made while I was there, but I can't imagine having gone anywhere else.

Besides, my next-best option was Ithaca, which was just starting its print journalism department and did not have the opportunities for internships and freelancing that I ended up taking advantage of at Local Big State U. After that it was Rutgers, but I only applied there because I was up for a full ride through the local alumni group. Once I didn't get that, Rutgers was off the list.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Accepted: Delaware, Salisbury and Monmouth
    Rejected: UNC and Penn State

I applied to UNC and Penn State as pipe dreams, but knew I could get into the others. I got a partial scholarship to run cross country and track at Salisbury and an offer for some money at Monmouth. I eventually went to Delaware because I wanted to bigger school and it was in-state tuition. I eventually got some money my junior year for running.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Accepted: Syracuse and (two years later) St. John's
    Rejected: SUNY-Stony Brook (I wanted to get into its physical therapy program but I didn't have sufficient science.)

If I had it to do over, I'd probably have smoked less dope and made it to more classes at Syracuse. I also would like to have taken more history and economics classes and gone on to law school but the fact is I'm pretty damn content with the way things worked out.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Accepted: Indiana, Missouri, Dayton, Georgia
    Waitlisted: UNC (probably never cleared the list, who knows? Had already decided on IU)

Wouldn't change my choice. Met lifelong friends and the wife there. But I do wish I had given more of an effort in class. Last two years were at the student paper, which obviously helped get my career going, but even 15 years later there's some guilt about not having a better GPA and getting more money's worth out of the total educational experience.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Accepted: Maryville College, Mississippi State (?), Alabama, Missouri, Tennessee, Middle Tennessee State.

Rejected: None.

I look back on four of those 6 schools and think "I really must have been high at that time."

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Accepted: Trenton State College (now it's The College of NJ), University of Arizona
    Waiting list: Rutgers

Don't remember if I applied anywhere else or not.

Decided in the end that as a shy high school graduate to the small D-3 school an hour and a half from home (TSC) for my first year and see how things went. If I adjusted well to college I could always transfer to a bigger school.
    Turns out freshman year, I made some good friends (despite having an alcoholic sophomore jock for a roommate) and had fun working on the school paper, so I stayed.
    Sophomore year was a blast and then the first week of my junior year landed a job at the local newspaper where I stayed for the next 19 years before taking a buyout last year.

In hindsight, things turned out great the way they went so I have no regrets over my choice of college.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've never gotten a rejection letter from a university. Of course, I only applied to four schools and one of them was a community college.

I got accepted into St. Mary's (Maryland) but didn't go, University of Maryland, University of Maryland University College and Godless County College (obviously not its real name).

Draft saved Draft deleted