1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you get in? Where were you rejected?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sheeeeeeeeeiiittt, YF. That was my strong point. ;)

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I looked at schools all over the country, and ultimately decided to stay close to home. Then my family was transferred 3,000 miles away my freshman year. I always wonder where I might have gone if location hadn't been a consideration.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I probably would have skipped college or gone to a small school out in the mountains and 'lived the dream' sooner than at the age of 26. I'm 28 now and making a decent chunk of change after my recent promotion (shameless brag) where college isn't even a factor. Tho, maybe it looks good.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Just keep moving forward.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Also, if I could go back I would go to a state school. Going to a much more expensive private school has made absolutely zero difference, other than the size of my student loan payments.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What are you doing now?

I had a couple of job interviews go south when it came up that I didn't finish college.

When I interviewed at CO, my prospective boss mentioned going to "grad school in Boston." I just thought to myself, "she's got a Harvard MBA and will never hire me."

She did have a Harvard MBA, but I nailed the interview and was offered the job on the spot.

Not everyone's as open minded, and that was a big reason why I was determined to start my own business.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This is pretty much where I'm at, Arnold.

I think I was gonna get out of college what I was gonna get, no matter where I went. Which meant my first couple years, very little. My last few, plenty.

That's why I think I would consider where the school was more than its reputation, if I had it to do over again.

8. YankeeFan

I've pretty much had four different careers. I think I've enjoyed it more than if I had gone a more conventional route and settled into one, long term career right after school.

Has definitely made me more resilient when things didn't always work out.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I will have somehow managed to get through college without any debt.

10. YankeeFan

That was a huge part of why I quit school. My parents were paying my bills & I felt like I was wasting their money since I didn't know what I wanted to do.

A good state school would have made a lot more sense.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Last year, I decided to go back to school after a 10-year layoff hoping that finishing my degree would open a few more doors outside the newspaper industry. If not, I've still got a little time to become a rock star.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Did early decision to the alma mater (EDIT: Hell, I haven't made it any secret on this board before - Virginia), so that was the only place I applied. Also looked at (in descending order of how much I liked them) Georgia, Richmond, Wake Forest and Washington & Lee.

Draft saved Draft deleted