1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you get in? Where were you rejected?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Zeke's post on the ND coaching thread made me think this might be a good topic. When it came time for college, where did you get accepted, and where did you get rejected?

ACCEPTED: Baldwin-Wallace, Heidelberg, Muskingum, Marietta, and my alma mater

REJECTED: SUNY-Potsdam

INTERVIEWED BUT DIDN'T FINISH THE APPLICATION: Wake Forest

VISITED BUT DIDN'T LIKE: Virginia

Late edit: I'd do it again. After a period of adjustment, a small school was perfect for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though journalism wasn't a particularly strong major there.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I applied to one college, and 19 years later, I'm one semester away from finishing.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, since I inspired you...

Accepted at Hometown U, Minnesota, Boston College, Notre Dame and Pomona (there are times I really think I should have gone. IIRC, they have the Great Books curriculum for Liberal Arts, where you essentially just attempt to read the canon in four years). I think I actually got waitlisted at Wisconsin and did not get into Stanford. I dabbled with the idea of going to Kansas but never applied. And my old man threw away the NYU brochure I brought home.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Accepted at Oregon, UC Berkeley and Cal State Fullerton.

Visited Colorado but didn't like the campus.

Offered a small scholarship at USC but never applied. That was sort of odd.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I was a bit of a lazy bastard in high school but I did fairly well on the SATs so I got accepted to Jacksonville University, Rhode Island College (my eventual choice) and Johnson & Wales. I got rejected from URI, however, mainly because my grades were shit.

I don't feel bad about it though. URI is basically High School II and I hated high school. RIC was a blast, probably the best years of my life and where I met my soon-to-be wife.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Accepted: University at Buffalo, Syracuse, Canisius, Saint Bonaventure, SUNY Brockport, Western Kentucky.
    Rejected: None.

I didn't visit any schools until the deadline and that was UB. I had already been to Bonaventure numerous times for basketball and baseball camps; same with Canisius. All of the schools minus Syracuse were strictly for baseball. Canisius gave me the most money for academics and the best opportunity to make the baseball team. I went to UB. Yeah...

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Accepted: BC, Fordham, Catholic, Scranton, Le Moyne.

Rejected: Holy Cross.

Can you tell my parents/guidance counselor pushed me towards Catholic schools?

BC was the only place I wanted to go. I quit anyway.

Visited my best friend at Ohio State later. Why didn't anyone tell me about these Midwestern State Schools? I could have had fun there. (Actually, I did have fun there.)

Did a little time later at Iona College. Nice place, but my high school was tougher.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Side question for the group:

If you could go back and do it over, would you choose differently?

I don't know that I would, but I would choose according to different criteria. Namely, I'd have decided where in the country I wanted to live, and then found a college there.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I really just wanted to get out of my parents' house.

If I had visited someplace like Ohio State when I was looking at schools, I might have made a different decision.

I think my biggest problem was that I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Accepted: St. John's, Syracuse, Miami (Fla.), Rhode Island.
    Rejected: None.
    Tried to apply: Michigan, which sent me the application three days after the deadline.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. Ball State was pretty good to me.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I still don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted