1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Jeff Passan come from?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Jeff will be 27 in December.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

*Removed because all the info I typed in was already in the thread*

I love his writing. He also seems to be a good guy. I remember I wrote to him after one of his columns about Buck O'Neill and he wrote back telling me he appreciated hearing from a peer.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

he interned at the newark star-ledger, too, if i recall. a nice, eager youngster. 8) 8) 8)

4. yahooinsider

yahooinsider New Member

Passan isn't 27. He's 45. He worked in Baton Route and Mobile in the 1980's under the name of "Louis Lamare." He covered a lot of SWAC football and basketball and some LSU minor sports. It's time people know the deal.

5. He may be 27, but he looks 15. Even when he tries to grow an excuse of a sad excuse for a beard. But in all seriousness, Jeff is a good reporter, and an even better dude.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

Interned at Baseball Weekly too.

7. lono

lono Active Member

His pen name is Louis L'Amour. He was born Louis Dearborn LaMoore on March 22, 1908, the last of seven children in the family of Dr. Louis Charles LaMoore and Emily Dearborn LaMoore.

His home, for the first fifteen years of his life, was Jamestown, North Dakota, a medium sized farming community situated in the valley where Pipestem Creek flows into the James River. Doctor LaMoore was a large animal veterinarian who came to Dakota Territory in 1882. As times changed he also sold farm machinery, bossed harvesting crews, and held several positions in city and state government.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And he was on the grassy knoll when Kennedy was assassinated.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Is Jeff Passan the new Ryan Sonner?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

11. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

this is a demanding discipline.
    it demands originality.
    you get "get by" with re-hashing old stories, and you can make a living with a slick sophisticated style.
    but eventually you will be labeled as superficial unless you come up with new stuff of your own - new facts, a fresh interpretation, an original narrative.
    sorry, i didn't invent the rules - they are what they are.
    as a so-called 'national' writer for a search engine, passan floats around and drops himself into well-developed stories. nice gig, but he's in danger of being irrelevent unless he comes up with a fresh twist.

12. Damn, I wanted a lot more of that story, 2000 more words, anyway.
    Boxcar Willie?
    Classic.

Draft saved Draft deleted