1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Jeff Passan come from?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SuperflySnuka, Aug 17, 2007.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Passan is terrific, but kudos should also be give to Yahoo, which gives him the time and means to go and work on some great stuff (Alaskan midnight baseball, Mike Marshall's clinic, etc.).

2. One of the many reasons, in addition to it's great roster, that Yahoo! is almost at ESPN's level...

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

Passan is the business because he's talented and he works hard. That's a rare, knockout combination.

And while I don't normally go for quote endings -- Snuka, you're right: That's a great, poetic, haunting ending. A+

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

His stuff is consistently outstanding. Very impressive.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think I heard he's 27, but that might be off by a year.

6. ballwriter

ballwriter New Member

Additionally, Jeff is a great guy without a trace of ego. And no, I'm not Jeff.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've spoken to him a couple -- although brief moments -- times, and I'll agree with that.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Ego is something widely frowned upon in this business, as the above posters allude to. Yet so many of us let ego steer us in this profession. It's really fucked up if you think about it.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Props for Passan, personally and professionally.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

nothing new in that story. the hamilton angle has been done.
    everybody knows the conigliaro story by rote.
    yes, he has a polished style.
    but unless he comes up with fresh stuff, big deal.
    he's written better stuff than this.

11. HH, I disagree...

It's not always about a new story or a new angle. It's about writing a story and presenting it to people, many of whom have never thought of it (like me), and doing it in a manner that not only wants me to read more of the story, but read more of all his stories.

He got great quotes and made me really feel for the guy. No need to bash him.

12. Lunker

Lunker New Member

Passan is a friend from one of his previous stops. Real cool guy and an extremely gifted writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted