1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Jay Sherman go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, May 1, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Interesting. I see a lot of technical writing positions available, but really didn't know what a technical writer did. Until now, of course.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Are they still looking for folks?

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

They just filled the last open position. A search for junior technical writer or some variation of that should return some results.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've been looking really hard at technical writing as a way to jump ship. I just worry that by time I can get around to it, I won't have beat the rush.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From what I can tell, at least for my situation, there wasn't a rush of journalists to the job. Some of the applicants had a newspaper background, others had an English degree and some PR-type backgrounds. In general, it's important to find a place that wants 0-1 years of technical writing experience, or just asks for 1-x years of professional writing experience. I didn't do much besides make my sports background look less sportsy -- didn't want to get pigeon-holed -- to land an interview and the job.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Indeed.com may be the greatest site ever. Much better than the Monster/Careerbuilder boards and also the other crappy boards that make you register.

8. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

After hundreds of apps out to companies on Monster and CareerBuilder and Craigslist, the one that pawns them all is Indeed. I wonder if I can get a sponsorship with them or something.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Craigs list isn't bad. Careerbuilder blows. I don't want to know about photography opportunities with the Navy.

10. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Never got one call back from a Craigslist ad, even the ones that sounded somewhat legit.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

But you did get involved in a fivesome with four midgets!

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I figured that was implied! RIP Craigslist dirty ads, though. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted