1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Jay Sherman go?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, May 1, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe Jay Sherman was just tired of having two thumbs up ... way up.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What happened to Zombie Vonnegut and Tom Petty?

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Whoa, someone missed me! Sorry guys, basically as soon as I got the axe from my old gig, I stopped posting as I was looking for full-time work outside of the sports journalism world. After a couple months of stringing for a nearby paper, I landed on my feet again and am now proposal writing for a big IT company. Journalism job in IT industry FTW.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good job Jay.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Sweet! Good to hear about the new gig, Jay.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Congrats Jay.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new gig. And it's damn good to see you round these parts again.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to be a dick Jay. Glad you are back working and all, but what does a proposal writer write about and how did your journalism background help you land the gig?

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the answer too, actually.

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Here's the job description. It's basically technical writing but they loved that I came from a reporting background:

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:

Main responsibilities include preparing customized business proposals, presentations and any written requests for information for our internal sales staff. The proposal writer will work closely with the Proposal Manager and local sales leadership to promote communication and assure quality control on all documentation delivered to customers. Specific duties include:

* Developing proposals and related documentation for company's staffing services, meeting specific, pre-determined deadlines
    * Writing, editing, and managing all elements of proposals and proposal sections including boilerplate, executive summaries, technical approach, past performance, management approach, staffing plans, resumes, and other sections as required
    * Interviewing internal sales staff to gather competitive intelligence needed for the development of customized, competitive, responsive, and compliant proposal sections
    * Creating graphics (images, charts, diagrams) to illustrate concepts in proposals
    * Maintaining proposal tracking database by updating records for assigned proposals
    * Updating proposal content database with new and/or modified RFP answers
    * Providing quality assurance on formatting and content
    * Managing the production of proposals to include printing, binding and shipping
    * Supporting strategic content projects as needed (i.e. case studies, whitepapers, fact sheets, brochures, web content).

Requirements: Bachelor's degree, writing/editing experience, knowledge of MS Office, multi-tasking and working on deadline, etc.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

It was a pretty entry-level job but it pays well and they have great benefits, 401K matching, profit sharing, tuition reimbursement, etc. The company treats its employees well, which was a welcomed change from working for MediaNews.

Happy to answer any other questions. Of course I miss being around sports all day, but I get my fix by blogging and this is a very deadline-driven job, so I still get that thrill regularly. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted