1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Where are they Now?"-type features

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Apr 2, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It can be a good feature - and taking suggestions is not bad. But like others have said, the best ones will come when one of you sits down and does some research back through microfilm and whatnot.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We've done this a few times. One was a general series of summer stories that turned out well. We had one on a local who was playing in the NFL, another who had a cup of coffee with the Cowboys, another about an old boat racing circuit in the area. It went well.
    A year or two later we tried an all-time all-county football team. Dug through the archives to come up with names from every decade for the last 50 years and let readers vote on them. We ended up getting a couple hundred votes from each decade. Once we finished that phase, we started tracking people down and writing short 5 or 6-inch capsules on what they'd done since high school. Even though the stories were short, there were some pretty interesting tales to come out of that and it seemed well-received.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I like these ideas. One thing I did way back when I was a preppie, after each season when we produced our all-area team, I included a little breakout box on what every person on last year's all-area team was doing now.
    Most of then were at junior college, or at a specific college but not playing anymore, or redshirting at Tech. Fortunately, we never had any "working at 7-Eleven" or "killed in a drug raid"

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always read WATN? stories.

But next time you offer readers to submit suggestions, simply state, "Suggestion cannot be of a relative." Won't weed them all out --- someone may have a friend submit the suggestion to get around the stipulation --- but it will wipe out most of them.

In the unlikely event the relative really is a good idea, let someone else suggest it.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We do them, but we like to make them anniversary-related so they're somewhat relevant and timely.

7. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Ask all the newsroom veterans, who are valuable for stuff like this because of their institutional knowledge.

Oh, that's right ... they all got laid off.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

YOU ONLY COVER US AFTER OUR LIVES PEAKED!!!

9. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

First it was "citizen journalists" ... now it's "citizen SEs" .... write about the ones who tried real hard

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Unbelievably sad -- and true.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Newspapers should not lock themselves into having to write these once a week. WHere are they now stories should simply show up on individual beats. Forcing staffs to come up with them once a week is an old Gannett trick. Just let them come naturally. When it's time to write one let the beat guy write one.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

We should have one once a month on a former board member who's no longer active.

Draft saved Draft deleted