1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where are they now stories?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not as much as you'd think. Usually the former batboys and clubhouse guys are still working there or still calling for tickets, so they're not hard to find.

2. Smasher_Sloan

I wouldn't consider a story on someone a couple of years out of HS as a real "where are they now" story.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, just get it over with ... go on a puppy killing rampage during a long weekend to release some of that bitterness.

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

Oh, I'm not bitter about that stuff.

Try this for bitter: I have no long weekends, like many of us. However, I also have an SE who has been here less than eight months and is scheduling his fourth vacation in March. I haven't seen more than two days off in a row since July. Yeah, I'm real fucking bitter, like many of us here.

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

We have a guy like that too. Works a four day shift at the start of the week so his "week" off is more like 11 days. He's even more irrelevent when he's here. We work around him.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i have a rottweiler puppy. leave him out of the puppy killing spree.

7. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

How long do you think a kid has to be out of high school before you do a "Where are they now" piece on them?

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as a reader, i like them, but obviously only if the person is doing something more than living an average life, or has interesting stuff to say about the time he was a star.

i liked SI's WATN issues for a while but i felt like the most recent one was really struggling to come up with compelling characters.

the thing is, sometimes it can be better as a look-back kind of story rather than where are they now. as an example a couple years ago SI did a great look-back piece on jack morris's game 7 gem that included stuff on where he is now. if it had just focused on what morris was doing now, it would've been dull.

9. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I like dogs, so I'm not going there. However, fuck those mountain lions.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes, that's the one. Agreed on all counts.

11. Smasher_Sloan

When there's a genuine curiosity about where they are.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

ad weasels really are all the same, everywhere.

I despair less with the reinforcement that I am not alone

Draft saved Draft deleted