1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are they now Jonathan Hargett edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

trag·e·dy
    [traj-i-dee]

noun, plural trag·e·dies.

1. a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically that of a great person destined through a flaw of character or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/tragedy

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering. When does he make the move from NYT to SI?

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

His Twitter handle already has. At my last paper, I wrote a 5,000-word enterprise package that I didn't even finish until after my last official day and ran several weeks after I was gone. Maybe this is similar (and better, I should add).

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I covered WVU hoops that year. Remember Mr. Hargett's season very well, I remember Tyrone Salley and another gunner, Drew Schifino, flaming out after that hot start. The first guy to have the ball after halfcourt was gonna fire at the hoop that season. What a depressing team to cover, from the head coach on down. (I despised Catlett, BTW) To this day I hold Hargett up as the perfect example for what is wrong with AAU Hoops.

I distinctly remember telling a joke the day Dakich bailed on Morgantown to the effect of "I'm guessing Dakich heard about what was still owed to Hargett and high-tailed it back to Bowling Green."

Of course the 'Eers did pretty well with the guy who came in after Dakich bailed anyway, and are better off as a program now because of it.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Dakich sidebar is pretty crazy too -- he and his wife allege the WVU president told them "we will destroy you" if he told anyone else about the Hargett payments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sports/ncaabasketball/landing-in-west-virginia-dan-dakich-checked-the-exits.html

Great story package. The five-year check will be worth looking at. I'm guessing they'll conduct that interview in the same prison.

Draft saved Draft deleted