1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are the farewell-to-Shea stories??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 20, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

And all your teams still suck...and it's still fucking Cleveland!

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, but Brewers have choked away the wild card. As the Mets might well do when they close against Cowbell's Marlins next weekend.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Didn't stop people from gushing poetic about Yankee Stadium since March, back when people assumed they'd go to the playoffs b/c they'd been doing so since before OJ Simpson was an innocent man.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about the Shea Shithole, so nobody's gushing about it...not now, not next week and not when they play the last game at the dump.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

How soon they forget the classic 1964 All-Star game and Bunning's perfect game.

Nice that the Mets' stadium is known for two great Phillies moments.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, real Shea memories:

1. The smell.

2. The roar of planes.

3. Rice in the press room for every meal.

4. John, the attendant in the press room, grabbing the money out of your hand like a snapping turtle.

5. The framed photos of writers past and present in the press room (an actual nice touch).

6. The dangerously low ceiling in the press box.

7. The unique squawk of Bill Shannon announcing pitching lines and scoring calls in the cramped press box.

8. The elevator that rarely works.

9. Smilin' Ed Randall in the visitors clubhouse, asking every player, "Hey, are you using your tickets?"

10. The sweaty walk from the press gate to the subway platform on hot days.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I saw Eddie Murray raise the apple. If I died back in 1993, it'd be with a smile on my face (just one in a crowd).

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we can only wish.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Obviously, there were big moments in Shea, but I view it kind of like I did the Kingdome. Sure, there were some amazing things that happened in it, and while Yankee Stadium is as much of a shithole as Shea, Shea was built in the '60s, not the '20s.

Shea wasn't the place that had Babe Ruth, Joe D, Lou Gehrig and Mickey Mantle.

Fact is, Shea doesn't hold the same place in America that Yankee Stadium does.

I'm guessing the NY Times won't have a bunch of guest columns by Paul Simon or Henry Kissinger about what Shea Stadium meant to them, because it didn't mean anything to them.

That said, I'm sure during the playoffs there will be a bunch of shit shoving it down our throats.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Puh-leeze ....

[​IMG]

:D

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, nobody is telling great stories of Shea just like no one told great stories of the Vet or Riverfront or Three Rivers, etc.
    And it's for goddamn sure nobody told even a good story about the fucking hell hole in Cleveland.
    Hey, TSP, tells us your favorite memories of Municipal Stadium...where the stadium sucked but the teams that played there sucked worse.

As for my friend BYH, dickhead douchebag Mets hater that he is, who was born about 12 years after Shea opened ... fuck you, too.

And for all you children who "feel the magnificence" of Yankee Stadium remember one thing ... the only part of the soon to be defunct ballpark that is the same as the original park is the outside walls. The rest of it is 34 years old, or less (there was a second renovation in the 80s after the total gutting of the real Yankee Stadium in 1974.)
    If you weren't at Yankee Stadium prior to 1974, you were never in The House thet Ruth built...NEVER!

And my last impression of Yankee Stadium from one game last season and one this season is how did this supposedly great place become as bad a fucking dump as Shea?

Draft saved Draft deleted