1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are the farewell-to-Shea stories??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 20, 2008.

1. deadliner

deadliner Member

The 1962 Mets, the Beatles in 1965, Joe Namath and the Jets, the 1969 Mets, Tom Seaver, Game 6 ...
    Yeah, not much happened there. You are right. Why should anyone care about it closing?

2. deadliner

deadliner Member

oops. Not the 1962 Mets. Sorry.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget David Cone's epic nailing of a groupie in the bullpen in '86.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the mets and NYC can choke on anything dodgers.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Mike Scoscia and his 1988 NLCS home run effectively ended my youth.

Anyway, Shea was nothing more than a multi purpose stadium; created in an era of multi purpose stadiums, there was nothing that really stood out about Shea. Shea's charm, such as it was (is?) comes from moments. 1969 Jets and Mets. The Beatles. Piazza's home run after 9/11.

That said, Shea cannot compete to the sporting cathedral that was Yankee Stadium and its history. That's why there aren't any weepy odes to Shea.

7. Herbert Anchovy

I have better memories at Shea than I do the toilet bowl in the Bronx and I like that just fine. Shea died a while back, it doesn't want the elegies. Onward, ho.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

If by died a while back you mean in 1964...then yes. Yes it did.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Well, in fairness, someone did try to deliver one. No one heard it. It was drowned out by the takeoff of a 747.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It prolonged mine. Back then, I thought it was the Dodgers' birthright to be a playoff team at least every third year or so, with serious contention for the Series.

Then I got older.

11. Herbert Anchovy

BYH --

Where else are you going to see two guys smoking a joint in field level seats on Opening Day in 39-degree temperatures or a fat kid squatting over a sink in the boys' room? The new park will bring a natural selection. I don't know that it's necessarily a great thing.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you forgot to mention the sound of airliners.

Draft saved Draft deleted