1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are the farewell-to-Shea stories??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 20, 2008.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The A's moved to Oakland for the 1968 season, by which time the Angels had played in old Anaheim Stadium for two seasons.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. And Oakland's was not first to host a game -- it opened for the Raiders in September 1966, while the Angels began play at Anaheim in April 1966.

But I will concede that Angel Stadium is a completely different park than it was when Ryan and Tanana pitched. You can barely even see the Big A from inside the stadium now.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Air traffic depended on wind patterns. Sometimes inbound planes came in over Shea and made very little noise. But when they were taking off over the stadium, it was a roar.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Damn you, Wikipedia!
    I think I just misread that part before I posted. Saw that both were finished in '66 and, well, you know the rest. Sorry, fellas. I'll go sit in the corner for 10 minutes :)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

On a visit to New York, caught the Cardinals at Shea. Pujols had a three-run homer and a grand slam. Beltran homered off Isringhausen in the ninth to give the Mets an 8-7 win. Great game, and the ambiance wasn't too horrible.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was invited back but got run over by a tarp roller and now won't be able to make it.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Pulsipher? Wilson?

Kazmir? Ryan?

Draft saved Draft deleted