1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are the farewell-to-Shea stories??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 20, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shea tries just as hard!!

And I suppose the Mets will have some home games after tomorrow. But still!

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You can simulate the destruction of Shea Stadium by taking a sledgehammer to a toilet.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i could give two shits.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who are you trying to kid, buck? nobody will care next week, either.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

True, too. The place is a dump. Bring back the rotting Polo Grounds!

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and the giants.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Great anecdote about Shea. Don't know about its truthiness, though.

During the mid 1980s, the Mets hired a plumbing company to install new urinals. After the plumbers finished, Mets officials found a sign in one of the bathrooms that read: "This piss is brought to you by John Gotti."

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now that's good stuff.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not as good as the Opening Day when the plumbing went (late '90s, I think) and drenched both locker rooms in raw sewage.

Or how the Wilpons had a deal to build a new park in August 2001, except cheap-ass Freddie decided he wanted more money, or wanted to spend less, or something, and pulled out of the deal. A few weeks later, the Twin Towers fell and nobody wanted to give the Mets money anymore. Alas, that sentiment passed, which is too bad, cause I'd like to see them playing in that well-deserved rathole forever.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oh yea! I thought this was Shea's last weekend, too, cuz I read something about last homestand. I guess that meant next week!

Who pays attention to anything about NYC anyway?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Shea Stadium memory:

I went this summer. It was OK. Nothing special, nothing TOO horrible, except that the concessions workers in my section were slow as molasses.

And it rained.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Believe it or not, I'm very interested in seeing the Mets' new digs one day. Love the homages to Ebbets and the rotunda.

Had no desire to see Shea last time I was in NYC, and no interest in making a trip just to catch a game there (like I did for Yankee Stadium.)

Draft saved Draft deleted