1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Where are the bodies?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Jan 18, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

My BlackBerry rings, beeps, vibrates, bongs, clicks, dings, chirps probably 19 of the 24 hours of the a day.
    It's kind of the gig, these days.

2. Yep, it seems to me an editor should be just as available - if not moreso - than a reporter. I don't care much for those who think their job is over when they go home.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When you're a beat reporter, your job isn't done until you finish out your two-weeks' notice.

4. fishwrapper

If they need me, I will be there. If they need to run something by me, either the writers or the desk, I'm available. Seven days a week.
    Now, don't get me wrong. I've asked before, "You called me at 6 a.m. for that?" Thought it many times.
    But, the section (and the website) is the reflection of OUR efforts. And that begins with the editors and their willingness to plan and put journalists in the position to succeed. I take that very seriously.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's my home cell. That's why I don't give it out. If I had a work cell, I would give that out. If I got one of those dual SIM card phones they're supposedly trying to develop or already have developed, I'd give the work number part of that out.

And I'm pretty much available to all my co-workers and employees at all times. My bosses, on the other hand, I deal with them only when I absolutely have to.

6. fishwrapper

I'm guessing you're pretty young, huh?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not saying it's a bad philosophy, FT, but I've never, in good conscience, been able to have that mentality. I'm always the guy to give out all his personal information just in case it could help somewhere down the line. If something goes wrong with my story or a time changes, I want anyone involved with that to know how to reach me.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No way no how is there any way for a reader to reach me at home. That's just begging for trouble.

You wouldn't expect to reach the top guy at Dell when your laptop freezes, would you?

9. You're comparing yourself to Dell's CEO? That's an unfortunate attitude, even if you're an editor.

At this time more than any other, it's imperative that those in our industry become a part of our community and hone those customer service skills. That doesn't mean running every brief about middle school soccer, but it does mean patiently explaining why we don't run it and making ourselves available to the people we serve.

As I alluded to earlier, I can't tell you how many great story tips I got because someone called me on my cellphone. People who witnessed breaking news or corruption want to report it right away, they're not going to hold until 9 a.m. Monday - and sometimes they want to tell an editor first. If we don't answer the phone someone (TV) will.

10. If I don't feel like answering the phone, I won't, but I will immediately check voicemail to make sure it can wait.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do you identify yourself with the paper on your cell's voicemail?
    I find all of this fascinating because I don't even have business cards and I have worked at this paper nearly 2 years. I just don't use them. I give my cell number out to any coach that asks.

12. Yes. It's a paper-issued cellphone. I occassionally use it for personal calls, usually from my wife when I've been away from the office all day, but as long as I keep it under a certain amount of minutes I'm OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted