1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are all the openings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Vinny Chase, May 10, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think it's still too early. A lot of jobs will start opening soon. Just give it some time.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What is What Boots says when he sees a woman from the front view?

</sorry, couldn't resist>

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I thought this was another thread about Katie Couric getting hammered!

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Why did that remind me of Celebrity Jeopardy?

"Ah, that's not what your mother told me, Trebek..."

5. boots

boots New Member

Every woman has an orafice.
    Now, to keep on topic. There are openings but they aren't being filled. Budget and laziness are the reasons for the delay.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

here's another resource:

http://www.mbaprograms.org/

7. statrat

statrat Member

If your state's newspaper association has a website, check it out. They may not be the New York Times, or writing features for SI, but the little dailies and weeklies provide a good place to start. The summer job rush typically seems to start in early June for those papers.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I'm finding that unless I'm willing to take a pay cut, or work for the same low salary, which is liveable, I guess, there isn't much out there yet.
    When do the step-up openings start coming? Even if it's a minute step up.
    I don't want to move somewhere to do the same thing for the same salary. What would be the point? Especially with travel costs so high thanks to lovely $3.50 a gallon gas prices

9. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

I'm sorry if this is off topic, but I've been looking thru Jjobs.com and notice that The Queens Tribune/Chronicles are always looking for entry level reporters. The paycheck will probably only cover your housing expenses (NYC), but is this something worth trying?

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, like you've NEVER taken a thread off topic. ::)

11. boots

boots New Member

I don't know where your talent level is but if you need the experience, you could do worse. The trick is getting in the door.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

This probably isn't a good time to look for openings. All the new grads mean lots of unsolicited resumes and clips coming in at papers all across the country. The time to look for jobs, methinks, is mid-winter when new budgets are unveiled and late summer when papers try to get a new face in place before high school football kicks off.

Draft saved Draft deleted