1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where (And When) Does It End?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never understood why online would require fewer people in the newsroom. Sure you eliminate the press room and prepress. But you still have to have people to actually go out and report the news: whether its city, sports, business, whatever. And people to edit the stuff and post it to the web (copy editors).

If you cut newsrooms by 50 percent, who exactly does all that? do you just sit around and rewrite press releases all day? Someone please explain to me how this web-only operation requires fewer NEWSROOM bodies.

2. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I'm going to start a band. There's more of a future in it.

Well, just as soon as I learn how to play an instrument.

3. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Because you're on a "24/7" publishing cycle. In other words, you can do the work for three beats and just publish stories whenever you finish them.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It'll end when newspapers are privately and locally owned. And the owner is content with a 5 percent profit margin.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Your company's stock price and its ability to make a profit are not necessarily related.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I disagree. We have two (what we consider) major beats in town. Very often they play on the same night or same day. So tell me how cutting our two-man staff in half allows us to cover both teams/games. It's impossible.

The only jobs you cut are copy editors, prepress, pressman, mail room staff, etc.

And even then, if you're "delivering" the paper in electronic PDF format, someone has to lay it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted