1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When's the NFL schedule getting released?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 11, 2008.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's what I don't get: Since we know they play each other in 2009, that has to be the "regular schedule rotation" year.

So why is the 2008 game in Indy . . . on the heels of the 2007 game in Indy?

Not complaining . . . . just seems odd.

I guess the "tough schedule" concept is not creating the parity the NFL envisioned.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It won't be.

You'll find out on Thursday ahead of each game where and when your local team is playing that weekend, just like high school baseball after all the rained-out games are rescheduled.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh no! How will I ever find out when I can plan my trip to Miami for this year's Dolphins' season finale?

I mean, do I just plan it for week 17, or should I wait until they're out of contention? Because If that's the case, I'd have to plan it for week 1.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The home division for the 1st place vs. 1st place games were predetermined back in '01 when this formula was devised. I presume it's a quirk of the schedule as to why the AFC South hosts the AFC East two years running ('07, '08), but obviously, there was a point where it was the opposite way. Then you factor in the rotation game in '09, and you get three straight games in Indianapolis.

I believe three home games is the maximum two non-divisional teams can have against each other. The rotation should switch back in '10, and if they're paired up, the Pats would host the Colts.

It's better than the old system. Remember that in the old system there was no guarantees at all, so you'd get quirky shit like the Dolphins and Broncos facing off just once in the entire Marino-Elway era.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Once when they were worth a shit, at least.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is such a big deal.

7. Simon_Cowbell

In my best Eddie Burns raspy, dismissive, NYC:

Good for you.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No, I don't mean for you. I understand that there's a need for the space to fill the news pages, etc.

But the release is being built up like they're revealing some kind of big-time tournament or something. We all know which team is playing who (and even then, I didn't think that was a big deal). I just don't understand why it's important that dates are now placed next to those days.

Maybe it's because I'm not a spike-wearing, face-painted Raiders fan, but I'm not circling Nov. 17 simply because the Eagles come to town.

9. Simon_Cowbell

I actually do try to catch a road game every year.

I get to plan that starting tomorrow, and I think that is fun.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same here. My fall weekend getaway plans will be determined by today's release of the schedule.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is today a holy day for those of you who worship at the altar of Rozelle/Tagliabue/Goodell?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because ESPN says it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted