1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When's the Last Time You Were in an Actual Fight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Jul 2, 2019.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Can't honestly remember getting into any real fights other than a few tussles with my brothers that were more than brotherly wrestling matches. Put me in the category of my size working for me. Grew up a nerd, but when you're 6-2 and 250, most bullies avoid you. Closest I came to a fight in school probably was an asshole who tried to use a joybuzzer on me at a football game. But turns out the thing didn't work, so didn't go off when he shook my hand. Friend pulls that joke, I laugh it off. This prick does it, I probably clock him. Glad it didn't go off.

My favorite near-fight story: My freshman year of college, I'm riding around Norman with some friends. Me and another guy my height but thinner are in the back seat. Buddy's driving with his girl in the passenger seat. We pass some high school kids, maybe other freshmen, who the fuck knows. Well, for some reason, a truck tries to speed by us and can't get past. My friend's girlfriend flips them off. Girl in truck responds, and apparently tells her boyfriend. He apparently will have none of that with three girls in his truck with him (teenagers) and only sees my friend and his girl in the car, so he gets manly and speeds around us and cuts us off on a highway on-ramp. Gets out of his truck and comes back to the car and slams his hands on it. Then he very slowly steps backwards as my friend gets out with me and the other guy in the back right behind him. He clearly realized he was about to get his ass beat down. He talked a little shit but backed away real fast and got back in his truck. Was fucking hilarious seeing the look in his eyes go from "I'm gonna kick some ass" to "Holy shit, what the fuck was I thinking" in about two seconds.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I was never a fighter and as a QB I learned to depend on my bigger, tougher teammates/friends to keep me clean. However I was fairly well put together and compared to the average bar guy in the 80's and 90's (pre-cross training where the fucking girls look like The Rock) I was never too worried. I was hammered one time and some gal I was with was being hit on by some rumdum so I acted tough and he popped me pretty good but only one shot really connected. That was the only fight I lost. My last one was probably 30 years ago, a buddy and I were leaving a bar and walking to another one. Two idiots decided to jump us for some reason and I went kind of nuts. I actually scared myself because I just lost it. I pummeled my guy pretty quick but my friend was hit from behind so when I got to that prick I lost it. Somehow dropped him right away then preceded to kick the shit out of him like Tony Fucking Soprano. He eventually crawled part way under a truck and I kept pulling him out and continued to kick the shit out of him. Eventually an actual tough guy came out of the bar and initially thought I was the asshole. Fortunately a girl we both knew told him the story so after he pulled me away he bought me beers the rest of the night otherwise he would have destroyed me. I was very lucky I didn't kill the guy. I swore nothing would get me to fight again.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What got me to stop fighting was when I found myself becoming friends with dudes I'd fought with years earlier.
    I had a big mouth as a young kid (still do), but I saw that under the right circumstances we could all be under one sky.
    That tended to involve alcohol and mostly marijuana.

wicked likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Who needs a bar for a fight?

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That's crazy. Took forever for security to show up, at least 3-1/2 minutes. I liked how the popcorn sweeper dude tried to intervene, meekly. The security guy in the dark red shirt (4:08 mark) is a friend of ours. It didn't look like he wanted to get involved. I mean, who expects a brawl in Toon Town.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Distill it down to its essence, in what world does visiting Disneyland lead to a fight?? Ridiculous.

Really stupid too, what someone ran into the other person's stroller? Notice too how there's bad fighting posture, you don't square up to anyone, you'll never get any power. Finally, martial arts hint, hit with the heel of your hand, not a fist.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Two thoughts:

1) if someone were to write a deep dive on the people in this fight, i would totally read it.
    2) the stress that people can feel when they are trying to enjoy themselves feels very revealing about modern life. The movie Vacation was totally onto something.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The music in the background made it even more “comical”.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The same world where Chuck-E-Cheese sees regular throw downs

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Heard that this is one family. Thanksgiving must be a hoot. They were thrown out of Disneyland and got into another fight in the parking lot.
    We've talked about the economics of going to Disneyland as the prices go up and up. The daily admission price is more than $150 now. It is not unusual to see a family -- dad, mom, five kids, a grandma. They all have Mickey ears, T-shirts, sweatshirts, churros and other memorabilia. They've dropped more than a grand and they haven't even cleared Main Street yet.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

$150? They can keep all that fucking Mickey shit. No way in hell would I pay that much for one day.

wicked likes this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Our day at Disney a few years back was one of our best family days ever. It was wonderful, and it makes my heart ache to think about it for a bunch of reasons.

I did not get into a single fight that day. Although Mr. Red Shirt here, clocking three different women, would have been hard to walk past.

Draft saved Draft deleted