1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you're out of pocket and huge news hits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Dec 31, 2018.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Noticed last night there was building speculation on Twitter - and stories on various sites - that there were indications that UCLA was preparing to pull the trigger on Steve Alford and fire him.

It continued to build this morning, obviously, and happened.

The big thing I noticed is the L.A. Times beat writer for UCLA didn't weigh in on it until mid-morning today, with this …

It seems odd he would be caught by surprise so much, since it seems this has been building for the last couple of days, and he had time to tweet late last night about someone wanting to have his book signed. So maybe "out of pocket" isn't the correct term, because he obviously was online, which only adds to the bad look, IMO.

Have they been cut so harshly to the point where he's on an island, with no co-workers to give him a head's-up or chip in and help get at least a mention of this possibility online, as most other outlets did last nigh?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Happened to me twice in preps while I was out covering games. The girls hoops coach of my main beat was fired while I was at another team’s playoff game one time, and the state governing body suspended the head FB coach of our top beat while I was covering a separate Thursday game.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's different. It's weird he wasn't at least getting texts or something from an editor saying, "hey, other places are saying Alford is out. What do you know?"

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted