1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you're a different person than your parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Apr 17, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Exactly. I've even picked up some mannerisms from my aunt (and later on, some from my dad's partner).

It's fun when you get older, isn't it? :p

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I look like my father and act like my mother. I frequently wish it was the other way around.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I look like Martin Brodeur but act like Tom Green.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

This is a good thread. Lots of good observations and overdue respect for our parents. And once you become a dad (or mom), then you REALLY realize the similarities between you and your parents.

Here's a fun one for me: Among the things Dad enjoyed doing with me was coaching baseball. And boy, could the man hit some fungos. We're talking Dave Kingman quality fly balls ... and he made us move for 'em.

Well, now I'm the dad helping out at Little League practice. And sure enough, I'm hitting the fungos before the game ... just not as high quite yet. I've still got a few years to perfect the technique and see if I can equal the master!

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My daughter is as warped as I am, humorwise, and as much of a procrastinator. And she takes after me looks-wise, the poor gal. Luckily, she has her mother's artistic streak.

I inherited my dad's patience and ability to tune things out when need be, and sadly, his utter lack of handiness. I have my mother's politics and her love of reading, but I am not nearly as financially prudent as she was. I think it stems from when I saw her ask for $13 of gas, and bitch the attendant out when he pumped $13.01. That's a Depression-era child for you.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I sing like Alan 'Blind Owl' Wilson, but I dance like Jemaine Clement.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am nothing like anyone in my family.

My brother and I don't see eye-to-eye on anything. Manily due to the fact that if you don't own a home, are still making payments on a car and are not married and have kids he doesn't have much use for you.

My mom has never taken my advice on anything, but my brothers word is the gospel (even when it comes four days after I told her the exact same thing). My mom and I argue more than any two people ever should, and I never know why we do. I love her to death but I honestly believe she is not content in life unless she has something to worry about. My mom could care less about celebs and their BS, she likes to try and take an interest in politics but it never goes any further than reading the paper.

My love of volunteering for the boys and girls club, the Obama campaign and the mentoring program that I was a member of for a number years drew some odd looks with some of my family members, who are very money driven. They see no need to spend time on anything that does not have a financial reward at the end of it.

My dad has no use for anyone other than his wife, who hates me cause I won't call her my stepmom.

8. KG

KG Active Member

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I can relate to this. I've wondered the same thing many times.

My dad and I have very little in common. He doesn't even really like sports. Not really, anyway. He likes it enough to watch/talk about sports for the university we both went to, but that's pretty much it. Oh, and golf. Playing golf may be the one thing we can really do together and both enjoy. I don't care about hunting, and he doesn't want to go to a baseball game (didn't even really go to mine when I played as a kid, not often at least). I don't want to go camping, and he doesn't want to see a rock concert. I think he's still frustrated that we disagree on the vast majority of political issues since I was right in line with him before I spent some time in DC.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Prior to my kids being born, whenever I would go to the beach, I would bring a newspaper with me, just like my father always did when I was a kid.

And no, I'm not bringing a laptop to the beach now. My kids need supervision.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My mom turns 65 this year and is headed to a softball tournament tomorrow. I hope that's me in 25 years. She watches Dancing with the Stars but doesn't know squat about people unless it's A. about baseball or football or B. in the paper. She won't go to work until she's read the front page, sports and obit sections.

My father is so right-wing extreme it's frightening. As he ages -- he'll turn 70 next month -- I can hardly stand to talk to him because he tries to pick political fights. I don't think he had any idea we belong to the same party because I refuse to engagehim. My conversations, always limited, now equate to "Is Mother there?" Thank God there's an ocean in between.

Their four kids are as varied as possible: rocket scientist, reformed sportswriter/Peace Corps volunteer, computer tech and pro rodeo chick. And although I got asked about my red hair, we also had a black-haired, a brunette and a blonde.

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yup, not my mother.

Had she not signed the birth certificate, I'd swear I got sent home with the wrong set of parents.

I have actually made a list of reasons of why I did not come from this gene pool. I LOOOOOOVE to read and have been endlessly mocked for it by EVERYONE in my family. I have totes full of books to the point that I don't have a bookshelf big enough.

The last "cerebral" book my mother read me (that didn't include Dr. Seuss when I was a little kid) was in high school. That's more than 30 years ago.

My mom HATES all TV, except sports. Trying to get her to watch anything but sports and the news is like fucking pulling teeth. Same with movies. She's HATES movies. And you all think I'm exaggerating, but I'm really not. She'll go to sports movies with me, but little fun movies? Yeah, no. I got her to go see Cars with me and the Devil Wears Prada and was completely shocked when she was still awake at the end of both.

I do a lot of that stuff with my dad: we are the ones who go to movies and do more hang out stuff.

None of the people in my family sing or are overly musical and I practically lived on the stage during high school. I was the only member of my family to not be a varsity starter at some point in high school. My grandfather was a PE teacher and played football on scholarship, my uncle played football at a D-1 school on scholarship, my dad ran track, my mom played softball religiously and I? I'm the uncoordinated freak of nature who falls up stairs.

I'm the only person with the exception of my parents and one cousin and aunt to live outside of the state of Kansas.

I've always wanted to learn more, do more, go places and see things and do things with my life. Most of the members of my family are perfectly okay with just doing the bare minimum.

I feel weird at family functions because I have such a different world view from everyone else. I used to be the baby of the family and now, I've had more life experiences than most everyone else there.

Draft saved Draft deleted