1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When your work gets adopted (in a good way)...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Sep 14, 2009.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

(So, I'm going to try and word this as best as possible to avoid outing myself too quickly...)

Our coverage's Division 2 football team plays at a location called Sherman Field. For a spring ball feature, we did a story on the returning offensive linemen, and I used the headline: "Sherman (Field) tanks." Not brilliant, but gets the point across. Well, we found out that they seemed to like it, and last night while getting groceries, I see they've made t-shirts (with the photo that ran with it on the front).

Has your work, however mundane, been turned into a slogan, a nickname, etc.? I know it's not as commonplace as our pre-predecessors, who used to accidentally name professional and college teams in their work, but I'm guessing it still happens once in a while.
  2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Our college teams used to go by a dozen different nicknames, depending on the sport, until they unified under "Varsity Reds" about 15 years ago. I simply reduced it to V-Reds -- for headline purposes mostly -- and it became the standard reference, adopted by the school and a bunch of satellite programs affiliated with the school.
    Not a stroke of genius by any means, but it works.
  3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Tommy Bonk, answer your phone.
  4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted