1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

when your editor goes to bat for you; good on you, Terry McDonell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

excuse me, hate was the wrong word. gingerbread said he doesn't listen to women. i was just wondering if there is proof of that or is it just a reaction to his shitty comments toward selena roberts?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I interpreted A-Rod's use of "That lady" not as him being coached, or as a phrase they considered and chose to use.

Rather, I thought it was just a matter of this egotistical guy casting Selena Roberts as just another female who "stalked" him. Because, you know, he's the irresistible hunk of Hall of Fame male that is A-Rod. I'd call it a miscalculation, but it was such a foolish thing for him to say that I can't imagine it coming from anywhere but the head of a ballplayer who hopes and thinks everyone should love him.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

yeah, i was confused algolo, I don't think Alex hates women -- he probably loves them, and certainly his daughters. Just don't think he respects them ,which is interesting coming where he's from (single mother) and who Chynthia is (very respected in her psych filed). I don't get how he's been so ill-advised, and some has to fall on him. Using "this lady" was calculated, and failed, just as using "bitch" on me failed.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

his use of lady was very sexist, just didn't know if he had always been sexist or if he was being an idiot like piotr said or if he just did something really, really dumb.

5. gingerbread

It probably won't be the first or the second thing he clarifies in the day and it should be. But at the end of the day, after all the questions have been answered, if A-Rod offers to speak at the AWSM convention, we wouldn't turn him down.

Hell, it's in Phily ... maybe he can get some time off, be our patron saint, let us know how the other half lives.
    (IF his handlers had a sense of humor, they'd be all over this. one more way to change A-Rod's image@)

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

why not?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't think Rodriguez was advised on his words regarding Roberts. They were his own. His twisting of the word lady with repeated references to "this lady" was simply an attempt to portray Roberts as some kind of stranger -- even though he knew, all along, exactly who/what she was, and probably, why she wanted to talk to him.

If she's a stranger, it lends credence to the idea she might be some kind of crazy, vaguely mysterious person, and that would make the idea of Roberts being a "stalker" more plausible.

In short, it was all an act, er...a fraud.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. gingerbread

I'm speaking for Selena here ... but over the past, say, eight years, she, like me, was at most every Yankee and Met homestand, and more often than not we were doing some sort of PED-related story ... and there is no way A-Rod did not know her. If he had to call someone "this lady" I'd say it's Kim Jones, just cause she's so nice, or Tara Sullivan, maybe even Suzyn ... but probably not Selena, or me, and Selena I think would agree.
    That's his handers, all the way, making up names, making up facts.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A-Rod went to the Bill Clinton school of damage control, for sure. I bet it was a visceral thing on his part, a reaction to Selena getting this scoop and in the past reporting on his woes as a landlord. I wouldn't expect him to be cheerful about her, but he should have just avoided talking about her if he was gonna show his ass.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And also must note that this proves with Selena being mostly a columnist, the journalism world doesn't have near enough of her as a great game reporter and investigator.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

ok. thanks. he is obviously an asshole, not sure that means he doesn't listen to women, but he is a prick, which wouldn't shock me.

Draft saved Draft deleted