1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When your dog dies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zimbabwe, Jun 16, 2009.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The only dog I had growing up was put to sleep when I was away at college. I knew it was coming — when I was home over spring break, I came home one night and she was laying on the kitchen floor. Her legs had given out and she couldn't get back up. When I left to go back to school, I knew she would probably be gone by the time I came back in a couple of weeks.

My dad took her to be put down a few days after I left. My mom said that was the first time she had ever seen my dad cry.

One of the things our dog would do at night — she would walk a few laps around the house. She would usually sleep all day — my parents were working and we were at school — so nighttime was when she would get her exercise.

When the Christmas tree was up, she would walk underneath the tree, and always hit one of the ornaments, ringing the little bell on it. To this day, every Christmas my mom hangs that ornament in the same spot, and always talks about how the dog would brush up against it.

2. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

It's been almost three years since my wife and I had to take that long and painful drive to the vet's office with Digger, our Chihuahua/Terrier mix who had been with us for all 13 years we had been together at that time -- even longer than we have been married.

I still remember getting ridiculously choked up after the doctor gave him the needle and he took his last breaths, but she kept reassuring us that the tumor in his brain which was causing his rapid mood changes and temperamental outbursts -- one which resulted in him biting me in the face and landing me in the hospital to get stitches -- wasn't going away and was causing him great pain. Being as we had a little child -- our son was 21/2 at the time -- the danger of him turning on our son and biting him was too great to ignore.

Now here it is almost three years later and our boy is 5 now. Obviously back then he couldn't comprehend what happened to his playmate (we told him Digger went away to see his parents) and he has held on to the little Chihuahua toy from Taco Bell that he calls Digger ever since. That cute little stuffed toy lies next to him in bed each and every night and we thought it was sweet, but recently he proclaimed, "I miss the real Digger. Why did he have to go Heaven? I wish he would come back."

Needless to say, my wife and I looked at each other and wiped away each other's tears as we told our little boy that Digger was taking care of his two late grandfathers up there and they were throwing a tennis ball for him to chase as we spoke. :'(

Amazing the impact a dog can have on your life and on a child's life. Digger was protective of our boy and he loved him back, but we had no idea our son would truly remember their relationship.

My heart goes out to you zim, but try to remember the good times the two of you had and the fact that she is no longer in pain.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

There you go again, making it difficult to dislike you with my former fervor. Damn you!!!

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Been there and done that. I was a pile of mush. I could not keep it together. And I will never, ever do it again, go in that room and be there for the administering of that.

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I've never had pets, but my wife and I cried for a half-hour watching Marley and Me.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I need to get a dog, too. I'll pay the extra money in rent if I have to.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I can honestly say that the one the main reasons I'm waiting to move out is to get a dog. It's always been my dream to own a beautiful Huskie. I love those dogs.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you can think of the name of that book *** I would appreciate it.
    Zinger liked egg sandwiches.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IJAG showed me this poem, and I think she credited Sportschick. It's called Rainbow Bridge and it creates a lot of dust in the room.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Big markets suck! Salary Cap! Down with the NIAFL!

There. Better? :)

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just make sure you have lots of space for the dog to run around outside. Huskies need to run. They don't do very well if they are confined too much. I learned this from experience.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I should know better than to read that poem out loud. It just got damn dusty in here.

Draft saved Draft deleted