1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you were in high school ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

... did you think the local newspaper covered the area fairly?

I went to a small private school within the city limits, one of two such schools in the city of four high schools. I recall regarding it as a fact of life that we weren't going to get covered like the bigger public schools did.

They probably sent a reporter and photographer to our school three times a year -- for the season preview, for our rivalry game with the other private school and maybe a district game or something. All other times, they'd run a roundup, and I thought it was pretty sweet when my name appeared in that roundup.

That said, I don't recall anybody complaining, really. I think we all understood that this wasn't a big newspaper and that there was much more interest in the bigger schools.

The only time I ever complained was when, in a basketball gamer, they called our coach and two players by completely wrong names. I personally e-mailed the editor. His reply was short and apologetic.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I had better things to do in high school than pay attention to the newspaper industry.

3. jps

jps Active Member

no you didn't.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't now, but I did then.

5. jps

jps Active Member

seriously?

edit: just poking you with a stick, by the way, pall ... you know I've got nothin but love.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I felt our newspaper covered all the local teams quite well.

Then again, I was writing for it at the time. ;)

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Seriously what? I didn't care about the local newspaper -- or any newspaper, for that matter -- when I was in high school.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Lived in a metro area with 30 other high schools. Coverage was centered towards the schools on the other side of town, but those schools took home the titles. The guys I went to school with didn't work as hard, obviously.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't for the life of me remember a single time playing ball in high school where I -- or my coaches or anyone related to the team -- expressed the thought that the newspaper wasn't giving us enough coverage.

I will say this: I looked forward to the high school roundups and seeing my name in the box scores a lot more than thinking about whether a writer had been there to cover it.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I went to a small school in a big city. The one or two times the big local daily covered one of our football games, or someone got named to an all-metro team, it was pretty cool. But the lack of it wasn't really something anyone complained about.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

On the other hand, I looked forward to the high school roundups and hoped I'd be seeing my name in the box scores. Never did.

I never felt that my school was slighted and that other schools were covered more. But then again, at that point, I couldn't tell you who the other schools were and what they were good at. I just showed up for the games.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

... dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Draft saved Draft deleted