1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you thought Ann Coulter couldn't get any crazier, here you go...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Most of them were run out of the party or told to change their ways if they wanted to stay. Or they found another party much more hospitable to their beliefs.

2. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I know the Dems have changed their stance. But if you're trying to imply that Republicans now stand in schoolhouse doors and hand out ax handles to beat people with, well, that's more than a bit off-base. I was merely responding to ridiculous posts such as the one made by TigerVols, who demanded proof that Southern Democrats in the '60s were racist.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Then...you have no point.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know about that. You do know the Cubs used to go to the World Series like every year, right? Why everyone gotta hate on the Cubs?

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I never denied that Southern Democrats weren't racists. That's why so many of them became Republicans.

Can you provide me any proof where liberals have gotten upset that 2 percent of African-Americans align themselves with the Republican party?

Or where "being a Dem [what the hell is a dem?] does not go hand-in-hand with being African-American?" I know plenty of Democratic party supporters who are not African-American. Maybe you mean being African-American does not go hand-in-hand with being a supporter of the Democratic party? If that's what you meant, you're right exactly 4 percent of the time, according to the study I linked to above.

And can you point out anything in the lifetime of anyone born after 1970 that a Republican-led government passed that blacks supported and Democrats opposed?

I'll wait right here while you go search.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"I've always wanted to say this...for shizzle!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'll save hondo some time: bans on gay marriage.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know you're not mocking the post; Mockery requires a bit more intelligence than you possess. Your post is about as simplistic as it gets. Third-grade political commentary.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Talk is cheap. Pandering delivers votes, not substantive change.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Why do Republicans feel the need to defend Coulter? As much as we like to make fun of her, I don't think she really represents even what most Republicans think...does she?

I mean, I don't ever feel the need to defend someone like Bill Maher, for example. I know exactly what he is and in general don't take him seriously.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Also, bringing up Democrats/Republicans of three or four generations ago is well, fairly irrelevant, I think. The composition of those parties bears little resemblance to the ones of today. It's much more relevant to discuss the political philosophies (i.e. liberal/conservative) that have been more constant. The name of a party is just that, a name.

Abraham Lincoln was a Radical Republican in his day, but what does that have to do with the modern Republican party? Absolutely nothing. It's overly simplistic, but over time, liberals moved from the Republicans to the Democrats and vice versa. So bringing up the fact that Strom Thurmond was a Republican or that Robert Byrd was a Democrat doesn't really mean much.

Draft saved Draft deleted