1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you think of a U.S. mafia rubout, what is the image you think of?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, May 13, 2008.

?

To, me there are five:

1. Bugsy Siegel, 1947

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Albert Anastasia, 1957

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Carmine Galante, 1979

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Angelo Bruno, 1980

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Paul Castellano, 1985

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One of interesting things I've read about Luciano was is assistance to the OSS during WWII. The U.S. needed intelelgence in Sicily and the story goes that Luciano agreed to get the Italian mob to help. In return he was parolled in 1946.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Joe Colombo. Guy gets shot in front of a crowd of 50,000 people (in fact, was about to speak at an Italian Unity Day in Manhattan in 1971) and then the guy who shoots him gets whacked. Second gunman runs off and never is identified. "Nobody saw nothin" at its peak.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I'm not mistaken, the guy that whacked Colombo was a black man with mental problems. The second gunman then shot up the black man so he wouldn't talk.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Rothstein was a fascinating guy. Started with the Eastmans, a Jewish street gang in lower Manhattan. Because he was smart, especially with numbers, Rothstein became a favorite of Big Tim Sullivan, a gangster/politician who essentially ran the Tammany Hall operation in early part of the century and was considered the boss of Five Points. As part of the patronage game, the gangs served to get the vote out for Tammany Hall and intimidate opponents. Rothstein always considered Sullivan as his mentor.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very true, Boom. He helped not only in Sicily, but he got the mob-dominated New York waterfront in line and had them help the Coast Guard. In return for his service, he was paroled -- but deported to Cuba.

Later, he tried sneaking back into the U.S., but was turned away.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I vote Other, as in JFK getting whacked for his and his brother Bobby's obsession with stomping on organized crime, after the mob helped to deliver the Illinois vote in the 1960 Presidential election.

At the other end of the spectrum, I remember hearing about a few car bombings around the Chicago area in the 60s, minor local wise guys from The Outfit who done somebody wrong.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In order:

Castellano

Anastasia/Siegel (tie)

Further editorial note: Joey Gallo got married in Jerry O's living room.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Never tire of recommending David Pietrusza's bio of AR. It's dirt, DIRT-cheap on Amazon, and well worth the eight bucks or so it'll take to get it into your hands.
    I don't agree with every one of Pietrusza's conclusions, but it's markedly superior to the previous landmark try, The Big Bankroll.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

To be fair, while there are many inaccuracies in "Eight Men Out," this isn't one of them.

John Sayles ended the story immediately after the trial (and with one fictional epilogue scene in New Jersey); he never tried to imply that nothing ever happened in the rest of Rothstein/Attell/Sullivan's lives. He had to cut the movie to under 2 hours, and the story is simply too complicated to explain what happened to everyone involved.

(One thing he did gloss over, in fact, was that Rothstein showed up in Chicago, after Attell opened his mouth to the New York papers, and A.R. got some sympathy play from the corrupt Chicago courts after a then-famous "I'm retired from gambling!" statement. ... After that, he got on a boat and sailed to Europe for a while to lay low.)

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That would probably have been in the wake of Sam Giancana's "retirement" as head of the Chicago Outfit and the resumption of boss duties by Tony "Big Tuna" Accardo, who was generally recognized as the most effective boss in the storied history of the Chicago Mob.

I say "retirement" because Giancana -- when he wasn't banging one of the McGuire Sisters or JFK paramour Judith Exner -- was popping off too much in the media and was way, waaaay too much of a hothead. The attention he brought the Outfit was putting the hurt on business.

Former FBI Agent William Roemer has written a couple of good books on this subject, including a biography of Accardo, that chronicle all of this.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Santo Trafficante and Carlos Marcello are said to be involved with Kennedy when the CIA wanted to kill Castro. Trafficante continued to work with the Agency through Iran-Contra.

How can we forget JIMMY HOFFA?

Draft saved Draft deleted