1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you think of a U.S. mafia rubout, what is the image you think of?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, May 13, 2008.

?

To, me there are five:

1. Bugsy Siegel, 1947

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Albert Anastasia, 1957

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Carmine Galante, 1979

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Angelo Bruno, 1980

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Paul Castellano, 1985

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

agreed. i was a copyboy at the n.y. daily news then and it happened a couple of blocks away at a steak joint, if i recall. i vividly remember the excitement in the city room over the picture. the cigar made it unique.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I voted, it would have been for Castellano. It's the only one of those I actually remember. And it put John Gotti on the map. I can't have someone mention Sparks without saying, "I hear the food is to die for."

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I think if mob rubouts, I always think local first. A guy I knew in college told me his dad was killed in a mob rubout. I thought the guy was full of shit. Then I was home during Christmas and the local paper was running a series on the mob in our town. And it had a picture of the guy's dad's car after it was bombed with his dad's name in the cutline.

This was 20-some years ago. I ran into the guy last fall. I thought he was full of it. He wasn't.

Nice guy, too.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I picked Castellano cause he was the only one I remotely remembered.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One of my first jobs after university was with "Corriere Canadese", the Italian daily in the Toronto area.

One of the editors was a guy named Antonio Nicaso, who did a lot of work on the mafia. He told me that one night, he heard some noise outside of his house, woke up and saw two guys running from his garage. He called the cops, and, sure enough, there was a bomb attached to his car.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of Rothstein, I can't recommend David Pietrusza's biography enough. It's superbly researched, and very long, but still a breeze to read. If you're interested in mob history at all (let alone NYC history or 1920s history or political/police corruption) you need to pick it up. I think Rothstein's legacy often gets shortchanged; he deserves to be up there as one of the major architects of the American underworld in the 20th century.

As for the "rigged" poker game, IIRC, it was something like "The Sting" where Rothstein the cheat got outcheated by McManus and Co. at his own game, then tried to welsh on his bets (which he was well-known for) by claiming the fix was in. So they retaliated.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

1. buck, did not know that. Will have to check that out.
    2. firstdown. SOLID effort. take that as you will.
    3. what about the cops? I think the life of Thomas Dewey is facinating. Going after the mob in New York in the 19-30s and very nearly rubbed out by said mob.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

BTW, this thread rocks.

Regarding your third point, BB, let's refer back to your image of Dutch Schultz getting whacked at a Newark chop house. The reason the contract went out on the Dutchman was because he was catching shit from Dewey and wanted to take him out. To do so required a vote of the newly formed (in 1931) Commission of the bosses of the five families of New York and Chicago.

Lucky Luciano (kind of the first among equals member of the Commission) reasoned that to whack Dewey would cause more problems than it was worth. He sold that logical conclusion to his fellow Commission members, but the borderline psychotic Schultz wasn't having any of that. So he went freelance and vowed to whack Dewey by himself.

Wrong answer. Luciano and Company put a contract out on Schultz, which Charlie "the Bug" Workman filled that night in Newark.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

if I'm not mistaken, didn't the commission want to put the hit out (on Dewey), but decided to wait a week to "think it over" and that's when they decided not to do it? And then Dutch goes off and WHACK--literally.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I always have thought the Galante hit was classic mob - dead guy on the floor of a Brooklyn Italian restaurant. Big Paul got his outside a Manhattan steak house, so it's just not the same to me. Crazy Joe Gallo got his in Little Italy, so that would have been a good one, too.

As for Rothstein, that's one of the many inaccuracies in the movie version of Eight Men Out. They make it seem like he got on a boat never to be heard from again. Although he wasn't killed immediately after the 1919 Series, he certainly met a different ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted